RSM 250 New Skimmer

Stuart1962

Hi all, I was thinking of getting a new skimmer, seen some vids on the Deltec MC500 which looks like it fits pretty good with minimum alteration, what do you guy's think?

Koestby

Hi, when i bought my RSM 250 it came with the stock skimmer.. Never used it for long cause it was making quite the noise. Got a used MC500 and though I am not a very experienced reefer I gotta say Im loving it, really pulling out the darkest foam, very quiet. Not alot of heat.. But it can be a bit of a hassle to get it to skim properly ( atleast it was for me) in the beginning. Recommend a ATO if U dont already have one, because it`s a tad sensitive to waterlevels going up and down. Probs some more ppl will fill you in, but it`s a start. Id say go get one :yup:

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
I bought my RSM250 used with the Deltec MC500 already installed. I does work well and if fairly quiet, although I can't compare it to the stock skimmer because I never had it. I absolutely agree with Koestby that an ATO is a must. Only minor changes to the water level makes the skimmer go from not producing anything to quickly overflowing. It has taken me a long time to dial it in, but it works great once you do.

GregT

I found that the stock skimmer worked well and was quiet. It took some effort to dial it in correctly though.
I only replaced it because the pump died after 3 years.

Stuart1962

Hi guy's, put my MC500 in, been in now for 5 days, struggling to tune it in, I've either got to much or nothing at all, would really appreciate any help on this.

Cheers Stu

NJ Reefer

PREMIUM
Stu, I found it to be trial and error. You need to play around with each of the variables to get it to work right for your tank:

1) The water level in my rear chamber is 5 1/2 lines down. I found this to work best with my system. Others may keep it around 3 lines down or less, but any higher than 5 and mine continually overflows.

2) My air intake valve is set to around 1:00.

3) I tried to lower the skimmer collection cup so that I could close the rear lid, but I have found that it needs to be just a bit higher so I keep the back lid open (probably better for maintaining oxygen levels anyway). I still manipulate the level of the cup from time to time to get more or less production.

And as others stated, it did take a lest a week for it to break in. Good luck.

Bullafca

It took mine about 7-8 days for the break-in time. here is a good article on the break in

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=839
Hey mike1970..

so you have maybe another link because with this one I can’t find any description how to Break in the deltec mc500.. I have it for a few weeks now and I still can’t let it work probaly i have tried all tips and tricks from this for but somehow it’s not working for me.. or maybe you want to help me with the right settings?? Also the skimmer hight , waterlevsl etc.. I do have Aaron running..
Thnx in advance

Grtz bas