RSM 130 Rescue

Nobbygas

The rock columns are very interesting. It is a fact, that when diving, if you see a 'rock column' then you are guaranteed to see some interesting stuff on/around it. This is because any current 'quickens' as it goes past/round the column, and current always brings food with it. It doesn't matter if the column is one foot high or ten meters, the effect is the same.

SPR

I quiet like the rock columns as well. There quiet unusual and look nice with all the fish swimming around.

On the temperature controllers I can recommend the Simply Aquari one at about £40, and a few of us are using these.

If you get a heater like one of the Eheim ones as well with a thermostat you can set this slightly higher than the controller, so that it always comes on when commanded by the controller, but you will also sort of get double redundancy should one of them fail.

I’m still running the Simply Aquari plugged into my Apex system so I have triple redundancy so if the temperature ever went above 29.5c Apex automatically turns off the power.

Highlander

I have a RSM 130D, I use Tunze 9001 and Stevie T media Rack with Chemi pure Blue. Have just removed the hood and fitted Fluval marine Reef Led 24" fits like a glove £139.00, so open top. The stock lights can be expensive and the fans when they are needing replaced are a noisy pain. Have been fish and a few mushrooms and live rock for a while so will be putting more corals in soon. I don't use the weir cup. Vinegar soak is as said awesome at cleaning.

discol76

Is it this light. Has anyone else been using these. I hope to have a clam in here eventually so would need something with a bit more punch. I might do the rimless mod also. Looks beautiful imo.Screenshot_20180228-113146.png

discol76

Tried to test the fans today and they are all needing replaced also. Are the ones in the hood easy to replace ? The fan on the back looks like a straight swap so that should be easy lol.

discol76

Had a look at that Steves LED light. Looks awesome, especially if it lives up to the claims of being able to grow anything. Had a little snoop at the other one that can be retro fitted into the hood. Think it was the Nanobox LED. Anyone got thoughts on comparing the 2 units?

Anyway here is some really big news!!!!!

New lens cover, screws and seal arrived today lol. It came with 2 lens seals. Is the other one a spare ?
20180307_165101-1512x2016.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

discol76

Started looking at the circulation pumps in the rear chamber. One old style one with the original adjustable outlet and another pump which is one of the upgraded ones. Both pumps are both looking in poor condition so I will replace with either one stronger return pump and block spare hole or should I replace both? I managed to salvage the flexi nozzle outlet from the original pump with a little careful cutting.

melvis

Hi discol76

Totally agree on the white vinegar solution, it's shifted god knows what from my C130 return pump, not to mention regularly cleaning my MP10.

I run the 9001 in mine but as it's a later model, I wouldn't know for sure about that surface skimmer part - although part of me thinks the 9001 will do what you're looking for. I run the stock media basket but it's dead similar. I've got Chemipure elite on the bottom, Purigen on the next shelf and sometimes Phosnet on the one above when it's required, with floss on top. All works fine, unless I forget to change the media - then I end up with the mess I've got now lol.

I went with Steve's LEDs just before the much easier plug 'n' play drop in solution. Had to gut the hood etc but they are worth it. I've heard the Bluefish controller is the best to pair it with too.

Good luck with getting it all cleaned up.

discol76

Thanks Melvis for your reply. Bought the viniger yesterday so will get to work on the tank as that's the lid all cleaned up.

Had a look at Steve's LED and it looks like an easy fit. I'll be going with the stock lights for a while to get it up and running. What did you think of colour given out by the Steve's LED light?

melvis

TBH, I did exactly the same but eventually didn't like the way the stock lights suddenly just turned on, almost frightening the fish at times - hence going for the LEDs and the sunrise/set feature. I remember quite lengthy conversations with @Pat24601 over the options. The colour is great but I do at times wish I'd gone for the JMB version, but that might just be the way in which I have them set up. My lighting schedule is probably on way too long so I'll be tweaking a lot of things shortly, including getting the dimmer set right so the colours are where they need to be.

I think the Bluefish controller gives more configuration options and if I'm right, I think @StevesLEDs have replaced the dimmers, making it easier to dial in but they'll be better able to confirm that.

Pat24601

TBH, I did exactly the same but eventually didn't like the way the stock lights suddenly just turned on, almost frightening the fish at times - hence going for the LEDs and the sunrise/set feature. I remember quite lengthy conversations with @Pat24601 over the options. The colour is great but I do at times wish I'd gone for the JMB version, but that might just be the way in which I have them set up. My lighting schedule is probably on way too long so I'll be tweaking a lot of things shortly, including getting the dimmer set right so the colours are where they need to be.

I think the Bluefish controller gives more configuration options and if I'm right, I think @StevesLEDs have replaced the dimmers, making it easier to dial in but they'll be better able to confirm that.

I have the bluefish controller now and it is much, much easier to do whatever you want with the lights. A night and day difference in controlling the lights.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
I'm glad to answer any questions you have. Steve's LEDs is the only manufacturer on the planet that guarantees that you'll be able to grow every known species of photosynthetic coral, clam and anemone from every ocean. We have over 9,000 systems sold with not one single claim or complaint about our lights ability to perform beyond expectations!

We stand behind all of our products, and you can rest assured all of our systems are quite overpowered, ensuring you have enough light for everything. If there is a way to make this system better, we are all ears!

-Jeff