RS130 Protein skimmer

Leo

Has any one heard of this new unit from tunze?
Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer
It supposedly replaces the 9002
I have a RS130 and was curious what others thoughts were.
Thank you

w00t

I've had mine for a couple weeks now, so far it is an improvement over the 9002. Built better, skims better all while being smaller. Only downside I can see is the cup is a bit smaller, I had the intank cup on my 9002 which I could go a week without emptying. This one I have to empty out every few days but that's okay with me.

Leo

With the 9002, did you have that special cup I have heard about that fits properly. Is that cup bigger than the new one? Also, I'm guessing you feel this unit works better than the stock skimmer?
Thanks

w00t

Yeah I had that upgraded special cup made by inTank, had to made one small modification to the tube but it fit perfectly after that. You can use the stock cup as well, but need to cut out a small notch on the skimmer lid to close the rear flap completely.

The stock RSM skimmer worked great for me but it was also very loud, the 9001/9002 are near silent. Another reason I ditched the stock skimmer was to use the media rack, as I didn't like the stock filtration setup. With the rack it's a much better setup.

Leo

I am confused. Doesn't a media rack come as stock with the 130. If so, how was the stock filtration different. Your saying with the rack, it's a much better setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo

Ok, I buy the 9001 skimmer, which media rack can I get. If you can recommend a Name and or Model number, that would be appreciated. Thanks

Leo

from woot post - it looks like a 9002 would work too... with the media rack

You have the original RSM 130, correct?

Look at the pics here - Red Sea didn't have one, it was developed by RS member & inTank owner StevieT

http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-Media-Basket-RSM3V20.htm
Yes, I

al
va

a
ydll
from woot post - it looks like a 9002 would work too... with the media rack

You have the original RSM 130, correct?

Look at the pics here - Red Sea didn't have one, it was developed by RS member & inTank owner StevieT

http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-Media-Basket-RSM3V20.htm
YES I DO! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LINK.. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO OPEN UP MY TOP FULLY DUE TO WHERE THE TANK IS SITTING. I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING WHILE MY "DEAD" LIVE ROCK ARE BATHING IN THE DEAD SEA:)
`

w00t

I am confused. Doesn't a media rack come as stock with the 130. If so, how was the stock filtration different. Your saying with the rack, it's a much better setup.

Sorry I should have clarified, but yes the media rack nanoreefing linked to is what you will want to get. It will work with the 9001 or 9002.

As far as it being a better setup, well first it has 3 shelves which you can use for media. Which is very handy. First shelf you can put your filter pad, and some carbon/gfo such as a bag of purigen and seagel on the other two.

The stock setup, especially if you only used the foam block did not filter well at least to me. And due to the design, a lot of debris bypassed it and ran past the skimmer. With the rack, it forces the water to flow through the media in the rack before returning into the main display. With that said, nothing really wrong with the stock setup but imo this is a much better solution all around.

Hope that helps clarify.

Leo

Sorry I should have clarified, but yes the media rack nanoreefing linked to is what you will want to get. It will work with the 9001 or 9002.

As far as it being a better setup, well first it has 3 shelves which you can use for media. Which is very handy. First shelf you can put your filter pad, and some carbon/gfo such as a bag of purigen and seagel on the other two.

The stock setup, especially if you only used the foam block did not filter well at least to me. And due to the design, a lot of debris bypassed it and ran past the skimmer. With the rack, it forces the water to flow through the media in the rack before returning into the main display. With that said, nothing really wrong with the stock setup but imo this is a much better solution all around.

Hope that helps clarify.
Definitely clarifies. Thanks. but exactly what is purigen and sea gel? This weekend I hope to be able to open up the top and stet going thru the tank. getting excited. but I'd like my dead rock to soak in the RODI saltwater bucket for at least a month. I've got two pumps moving the water and a heater in there. We thru in 5 turbo snails and a couple of damsels to get the process going. Haven't done any tests yet though.

w00t

Purigen is a organic waste remover, it basically just absorbs impurities in your tank. You can reuse this once it exhausts, by soaking it in bleach and then prime (chlorine remover). Seagel is a blend of carbon and phosphate remover. Both are made by seachem, and come in handy nano size bags that fit perfectly into the rack. But there are other products you can use as well.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Seachem-Purigen-100mL-in-Bag-SEA-165.htm

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Chemi-Pure-Elite-1174-oz-Bag-ELITE11OZ.htm

The two above items are very popular & is what I run for chemical filtration, as do many others & what you see in StevieT's pics of the loaded media rack below...

IMG_7669.jpg

Leo

Damn. Way to much good help to fast!!!!! I'm getting an itch to start cleaning this tank out[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41] thank yoiuu