Royal Gramma Shy?

Pat24601

I'm thinking of making my last fish a royal gramma. However, from what I read it's kind if a crap shoot whether they are shy and hide in the rocks to never be seen or are adventurous souls who splash the tank with their cool coloring as they swim all around.

At the LFS, I'm not sure I can really tell the difference other than try to get one swimming around. Any tips on how to get an adventurous one that actually roams your tank?

Last edited:

DaveK

This is one of these cases where you pay your money and take your chances.

Because the livestock and aquaacape in evey tank is different, and because each fish has it's own personality, you just never know how things will work out.

Given time, most of them will come out to some extent. It can help i you don't have large fish that might intimidate it.

melvis

Hi Pat

A Royal Gramma was the next addition after my initial two Clowns and other than chasing them once and nipping at a Bumblebee snail shortly after going in, I must say he's been good as gold. I didn't realise they were shy as mine is pretty sociable tbh, although does dart for cover if startled. Always out and about swimming and brightening up things.

Only time I've seen him hide for a while was earlier after some aquascaping, must have been in a rock for a good hour. Back out now though.

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
I've had great luck with grammas, as stated above as long as they are not intimidated. They're typically model citizens, hardy and beautiful too!

Jetmart

I've had great luck with grammas, as stated above as long as they are not intimidated. They're typically model citizens, hardy and beautiful too!
Can you add a second one several weeks after the 1st without aggression developing? What kind of issue could one expect>

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My Royal Gramma is almost always out swimming around. Very peaceful with all the other fish. I recommend getting one (but only ONE)....Basslets are listed best kept in singles. Post a picture if you get one PLEASE.

Pat24601

Thanks for all the great input from lots of folks (Melvis, Sandra, Dave, Travis, Diana, Snelly).

I went to my LFS today and they didn't have any. I imagine it's a short term inventory problem as they looked pretty depleted. Probably the cold weather.

If not, I'll do liveaquaria. Just those shipping charges...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you have good luck with getting healthy fish at your LFS, I just let them know that you want one & not get in a hurry.
I know patience is hard to have when it comes to something as beautiful as a Royal Gramma. They aren't usually a very expensive fish & the shipping charges should make the wait easier to consider.
I just hope you get a healthy one that isn't too shy!! :fingerscrossed:

Pat24601

My business travel was cancelled this week, so I may go to my LFS Wedesday when they get their new shipments and see if any came in.

Diana is right, though, there is no urgency.

dacianb

My gramma was rather bold first day, but the kole tang terror made it hide in a rock (I have large rocks full of tunnels). For a week I thought I lost it. Then started showing up anytime I feed the tank (lucky me, kole is aggressive towards any new fish, but have a very short memory and a piece of weed makes him forget the chase).
Now, after a month, gramma is always out and active, but never far from his castle. Still a liretail anthias chase him from time to time, but nothing scary. Luckily, the kole completly accept it.

I also have a royal gramma. Stayed hidden for the first week and usually for a while if I change anything around in my tank. But out most of the time and is fine with my clowns, purple tang and others. The only fish I have that I rarely see is my aurora goby!