Royal Gramma or Bangaii Cardinal in 24 gallon nano reef

jmmg33

I have a resun 500(same as river reef 90) nano reef aquarium with a black and white ocellaris clownfish and a purple firefish goby. I am thinking in adding a third and last fish to the tank since i want to keep bioload low. I am not sure what to choose. I want a Royal Gramma or a Bangaii Cardinal. Does this fishes are ok in a 24 gallon tank or they need a bigger tank? Thanks for your time.

Snid

Both should have a 30 gallon tank minimum, so you're kinda squeezing them in to a tight spot if you get them. The Gramma is less aggressive, but both would do well with your other tank mates (hypothetically, every fish has its own personality).

There are other gobies or dottybacks that would bring some variety to your tank. With just a quick glance at LiveAquaria.com, there are Ring Eyed Dottybacks, Catalina Gobies, or Neon Blue Gobies that do well in smaller tanks like yours. Just a suggestion though.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My choice of those two, would be the Royal Gramma.
I have one...love it's personality & bright color. :snshne:

Blue Space

Grammas are cool! They like to hang upside down and do weird stuff that has you wondering about them sometimes, and when they get p'd off they hold their mouths wide open like tiny super heroes defending their tank mates (or their territory)... perhaps that's why they're so endearing? :D Hard to choose what to go with but perhaps there is another fish more suitable for the habitat provided? I say keep looking for the perfect fit.

Coraljunkie

Catalina goby is definitely an awesome fish but it should only be kept in water that is much cooler than our reef tanks, ideal temp is around 68 degrees

Oxylebius

+1 @ Coraljunkie - unless you are running a colder water tank, stay away from the Catalina goby.

R1junkie

DO NOT put a royal gramma in with a firefish it will chase it right out of the tank even if you have lids, ask me how I know....