Rocks in your sump. What's your opinion.

soco

Title says it mostly. I've been looking at my sump today and wondering what everyone else is doin. I have extra rocks in my sump just because I have them. I figure the more live rock the better. What do yall do/think? Should it be open for better flow or do the rocks add extra filtration lime I assume?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

125reefwatcher

I have lots of rock in sump with a powerhead moving water around. it definitely has a positive filtration effect. my trites and trates stay unusually low and I dont run skimmer. and yes I over feed!

keep em alive@home

soco

I have lots of rock in sump with a powerhead moving water around. it definitely has a positive filtration effect. my trites and trates stay unusually low and I dont run skimmer. and yes I over feed!

keep em alive@home
Do u have a pic?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

125reefwatcher

c39e3b0b284878551e71721169531e67.jpg

keep em alive@home

cracker

Folks, I'm working on getting the rock out of my sump! I also thought more rock the better. After 5 years my 24 by 16 by 17 fuge full of rock turned into a dirt trap full HA and 2 inches of gunk in the bottom. I consider I have a high flow sump. It still wasn't enough to keep detritus from building up In my opinion.. If Your lazy like me don't keep rock in the sump. If You are willing to regular clean it out it will work!

DaveK

I'm of the opinion that you should keep the rocks out of the sump. Put them in the display tank or a refugium. Putting them in the sump leads to the creation of a major dirt trap, and in time a nitrate factory.

If you already have rocks in the sump, and can't move them out, be prepared to remove them from time to time, rinse them off in SW and clean that section of the sump. It's usually best to do this at water change time, and use the water removed as the rinse water.

125reefwatcher

Folks, I'm working on getting the rock out of my sump! I also thought more rock the better. After 5 years my 24 by 16 by 17 fuge full of rock turned into a dirt trap full HA and 2 inches of gunk in the bottom. I consider I have a high flow sump. It still wasn't enough to keep detritus from building up In my opinion.. If Your lazy like me don't keep rock in the sump. If You are willing to regular clean it out it will work!
I do water changes from the sump so it gets vacuumed regularly.

keep em alive@home