Rock Flower Nems

Bjones

I have about 5 of theses in my tank. No crazy color combos, but still pretty cool looking. If you got one / some in your tank, post some pics.
20130929_160137_zps42495e40.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I don't have any in my current tank but my next tank will definitely have one or two.

kyle4201

20130912_221215_zpsb3fa9964.jpg
love this guy,, 1 of my 1st things I bought,, But hes not looking so good latley, wont eat and just kind of half closed up sitting on a rock. I really wish he would get better.

Bjones

I have 7 in my tank, had a couple starting to look distressed. One is looking much better now. I started target feeding them all once a day with a piece of New Light Spectrum fish food. One perked up the very next day the other one is still iffy. Only been a couple days, so I'm hoping it gets better. I hope yours pulls through, looks like a pretty cool color combo.

Marvilis

Funny thing I found this post, I just came back from the LFS and saw two of these nems. One was bright orange about 3 inches is diameter and the other one was a baby florescent green about 1/2 in diameter, they looked amazing! the LFS wants $80 for both and the rock they are attached to. Do you think that's a good deal?

Before I buy blind are these easy to take care of? I currently have a healthy BTA and I would love to get more nems.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
They are fairly hardy. If you can keep a BTA alive, I'd think these will do fine for you. They don't tend to wander, usually take hold in the rock or substrate and stay there. They will require feeding meaty foods. Be sure to show us some photos if you get one or two. $80 seems pricey unless it's a rare color morph which those don't sound to be. You can usually get them at frag swaps, reef shows, or online for $10 for the common ones. Liveaquaria sells them for $9.99.

Marvilis

They are fairly hardy. If you can keep a BTA alive, I'd think these will do fine for you. They don't tend to wander, usually take hold in the rock or substrate and stay there. They will require feeding meaty foods. Be sure to show us some photos if you get one or two. $80 seems pricey unless it's a rare color morph which those don't sound to be. You can usually get them at frag swaps, reef shows, or online for $10 for the common ones. Liveaquaria sells them for $9.99.

To me they seemed to cool cause i had never seem those colors, but you're right they are not those crazy multicolored ones. Man at $10 I feel like I'm getting ripped off at the LFS. I'm going to go there tomorrow and see if I can take a pic of them (I hope i don't end up buying them!). I'll keep you posted, thanks for the info.

Marvilis

I finally went back to the lfs and took these pics. Are they worth the $80?

The orange nem
jazyja4y.jpg

The tiny green nem. I couldn't really get a pic if that one because of the rock position.
u7aqehyq.jpg

The hole rock
qeqy7amy.jpg

What do you think?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm guessing no, but it's a matter of what you want and what you're willing to pay. I've spent more on things than I should have in the past just for the convenience of having it then and there. I'd look at some of rock anemone's for sale online and compare to what you are seeing in the store.

gbose

BJones -- nice nem!

Marvilis -- I do like the blue and pink combination -- I'd be tempted at $80.... what kind of lighting did you take your picture under?

Mike Johnson

Convenience is a consideration. But, I just want to warn you to quarantine any rock you get from a fish store for at least two months.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Now that I have my new tank set up, I'm starting to look online for these. Anyone have a suggestion where to find one? I'm looking for a cool color combo. I've seen a lot of the less expensive green ones online.

gbose

I wish I knew where to get them -- I've been looking for a while. I have two -- one seems v. healthy and has spread out. The other stays small and doesn't eat, but doesn't seem to be hurting.

GBose

NanoDan

I have been bitten by the rock flower anemone bug! lol I have 3 and cant wait to get more. One my LFS gave me because they said it was too ugly to sell. lol I think its cool. other 2 I bought, one for 30 buck and other for 60. Here's some pics. Not very good ones tho.

Attachments

• GreenYellowRockNem.jpg
    GreenYellowRockNem.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PinkGreenRockNem.jpg
    PinkGreenRockNem.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 11
  • RedGreenRockNem.jpg
    RedGreenRockNem.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SexyShrimp with Rock Nem.jpg
    SexyShrimp with Rock Nem.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Sexy Shrimp with RockNem and Hammer.jpg
    Sexy Shrimp with RockNem and Hammer.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12

newo11

Very nice! I've been debating on adding one of these myself. I already have a RBTA and a maxi mini in the tank though. Are the sexies hosting the rock flower nem? My sexy shrimp host a maxi mini I have in a pico tank.