rock dried....now what?

nightfire76

so guys im almost done with my new stand and will be putting the exsisting tank with all the live stock onto it and i have cleaned and let dry about 60ish lbs of old nitrate and phopate filled rock to be added into the tank after its moved.......do you guys think using safty ties on the rock to keep it stable is a good idea? and if so i should get the biggest ones i suppose to be strongest? also ya guys dont think i'll have any probs with adding this rock to my exsisting system do ya? i dont see any since its not curing or anything.....just out in the sun :D thanks guys

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
  • A) Zippy Ties are VERY strong in one way but very slack/loose in another way. I pegged & tied rock together and I could literally lift my whole structure out in one large (and HEAVY) unit. You can experiment with it on outside the tank ahead of time to see what works best for your particular arrangement.
  • B) If you know it's Nitrate and Phosphate filled why still use it?

Robzilla

A) I zip tied and epoxied all of mine. I wrenched my zip ties tight with a pair of pliers due to slack as mentioned.
B) Very good point by Al. Why put in something that will continue issues? Just trying to save you a headache :)

nightfire76

im sorry if i confused you guys....the rock was filled with nitrates and phospate and was given to me for free and so i used bleached and acid bathed it so it is now fine and sitting in the sun

Robzilla

There might be a mini cycle. Monitor your params and change water as needed. How many pounds of rock? Go slow if you have a lot. A couple pounds per week if you have to....just don't dump it all in.

Robzilla

I would not add it all at the same time. A few lbs at a time slowly should prevent any unwanted problems.

Robzilla

You might be able to get away with it but if I had new rock, I wouldn't want to crash my hard earned system for a couple extra lbs of rock. Maybe you could focus your new scape section by section and really hone into what design you want.