Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Today i receive the aiptasia-x.

The goal is to have a colorfull tank. With fish and corals.

We had very warm weather around 35C (for us that is hot btw). The living room where the tank remains was around 27C. The tank itself was 28 - 29C With the lights out, and rear fans 24/7 running.
What I understand from an reply in my topic of Glenn this is not that bad. So for now I do not see any issues with the temperature.
If it keep this way i'm not in need of any chiller.
Summer in the netherlands are a bit on / off. We have a few days hot weather, then we have some cooler days. It is not that we have the whole summer 35C. Sometimes it goes back to 20C.
Well lets see how it evolve, summer has just started. :)
When it is really getting hot, i keep my lights out during the day. With the lights on the tank goes to 30C.

At this moment as we speak it is 25c in the living room. Tank is 28C with the lights on.
All fans running.

Rini

That is a struggle to get the manjo's. Found another one under the rock.
That one is hiding very well, and not showing up. I have used aquacape to close his hole and a bit around it. Hopefully this helps.

For the one on top of the rock, looks like i got that one with the aiptasia-x. Those little ones are FAST...

The other one is very tiny, and is even faster. So it looks like i'm going to use aqua scape again to close his hole for eternity! :celebrate:

Will give it another few tries.

Rini

Nope the one on top is still alive... peep... peep. :)
It is to fast. So i will use aquacape for that one as well i think. Just cover his hole and a bit around it.

If anyone has an better idea i'm open for it.

Pat24601

Is the live rock it is on difficult to get out if the tank? I've never dealt with this problem, so I am not the best for advise. But, I have read of people taking the live rock out and using a lighter to burn aiptasia.

Rini

I can remove the stone without any issue. Lighter could be an solution too. Will try that for sure.
Thanks for that. Sometimes i think to complicated :)

Desmond

I would just scrub the rock clean and it should do the trick and then rinse off in some salt water before adding to the tank :) I am still learning myself everyday :) i did the same with a few pieces i had and have had no issues since.

Rini

These little ones goed inside the rock. So scrub the rock won't solve it. Have made a stone frontdoor for 2 of them. The 3rd one seems to be gone, at least I didnt see it back. That was done with Aiptasia. If it comes back i will use the lighter method.
They are to far inside the rock to scrub them of.

Desmond

you could inject some aptasia inside the rock and it should do the trick. Put the rock in the water and send it into them to explode :)

mtsully71

Rini, a trick I have used with great success for all those hard to reach critters is boiling water, use a syringe, not only are you not introducing chemicals into the tank but the boiling water will kill dead what ever you hit instantly :rocket:

Be warned though, anything in the immediate vicinity will likely be vaporized also.

Rini

Hi Mtsully. guess you need a big syringe, otherwise the water will be cool down to quick I guess
I have an 12ml syringe as biggest. Not sure if this will do the trick.

As it look now the 3rd one is dead because of the aiptasia. Has put it in the hole where he was hiding.

The other 2 have a concrete front door (aqua scape).

Rini

Today we are on day 11 of the reef mature pro program.
We get there.

After the chasing of Manjo's yesterday it is an easy day. Day 11 - 13 are pretty easy. Just use the Coralline to bring the dKH to 8.4. And dose 7,5 ml NOPOX.
No real water measurements of Nitrite/ Nitrate / ammonia etc.
Schermafbeelding 2015-07-08 om 13.10.11.png

Goals is that tomorrow i measure again the dKH to see if we are not going above the 8.4.
I noticed that the PH was today 8.5. So that could be an indicator that the dKH is rising a bit.
Tomorrow we will find out. Don't want to test each day.

The tank looking pretty good, slowly more green algae showing up. More seaweed coming.
As you can see in the below pictures. Fun to watch.
IMG_1352.jpg IMG_1353.jpg IMG_1354.jpg

This time the cycle period is much more fun as with the Nano. In the nano i had cured LR. Not much happend there during cycle. Now i see creatures, i see seaweeds, and yes we see bad things like the manjo's
But it makes the cycle soo much more interesting!

We both enjoy the tank very much. Soon our little one will like it too when the time is right for an Nemo couple. :)
Patience... Hard for an 2,5 year old.

Things going pretty good. We both still enjoy the simple layout of the LR.

Rini

We are already on day 12 of the step plan.
As said yesterday day 11-13 are pretty easy.
Salt level : 33
PH 8.5
dKH 8.3
250.jpg

Temperature of the tank is currently 26C.
Seems pretty stable on 26C We had the past few days not very hot weather.
Expect Saturday again hot summer weather, so probably will be an day without lighting then :)

Further the search of extraterrestrial intelligence keeps going in the tank.
The rocks get a bit greener every day. So thats good for the clean up crew later.
Something i must start thinking about.

In my Nano the clean up crew was:
1 turbo snail
1 Percnon Gibessi (LEO)
2 Cleaner shrimps.
That was in 30 liter Nano

Now i have a bit more water, 3 times more rocks 15 kilo vs 5 kilo in the nano.
The nano had too much rock.. was more rock as aquarium.

Looking into some topics about clean up crew. Goals is that my crab and cleaner shrimp going to the new tank. My Turbo snail died a few days ago sadly. So will need an replacement.

Since i love the Percnon Gibessi, was thinking to have another 1. So 2 in total in the 250 liter tank.
Perhaps a few turbo snails.
And what else. hmm.
Suggestions are as always very welcome :)

Thanks again for taking your time to read our fun adventure.
It is fun, and on the other hand very serious, since we are dealing with life animals.

Desmond

How about some nassarius snails great to watch and good at eating uneaten food. I would think you could have 4 turbos without any problem and a conch snail would be nice also :)
I have 8 nassarius snails , 1 conch snail and 4 turbos in my tank and 2 tiny hermits that dont grow.
rsm 130 d

Rini

Great advise. Thanks for that.

If i follow the reef mature pro program (and the water is ok off course), with day 15 they tell to add 1 herbivorous fish. They do not talk about an clean up crew.
Is it smart to follow that way?
15 days sounds a bit early for adding fish to me?