Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Thanks Akejan.
In my current nano i have around 1 cm. Probably a bit less now. I think I go a bit deeper this time, since I like a bit more sand. My nephew has around 4+cm. Thats to much for me personally. Think 2- 3 cm is enough.

is this enough for the fish that live in the sand? Lost the name of it.. grrr.

No rush here. Lot of stuff coming from the LR at the moment. Have cleaned few times so far.
With my nano i waited with sand till there was not much coming from the LR.
Till today the sand is pretty white.

akejan

Sounds good.
I never vacuum the sand in my tanks but I have some snails that lives in the sandbed.
My opinion is to leave the tank alone as much as possible and keep it stable, don't mess with it. (Sorry for my spelling.)
Good luck!

Rini

That is my approach as well from now on.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
on depth for burrowing fish ... like a bluespot jawfish , you would want a dsb (deep sand bed) like 12 cm + 4/1/2 inches +
I always have to goggle ;)
http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/centimeters-to-inches.htm

just depends on the type of fish you want to keep...

I have always added sand & LR at the same time, I wiggle the LR down into the sandbed to stabilize it.

but +1 no only one right way to proceed & value to both methods...

I personally would not worry about some diatoms on the sandbed, very common & clears soon as the tank matures, hurts nothings & a bit of algae in a new tank is very normal & feeds the cuc (clean up crew - snails - once the cycle is complete & added)

I have a ssb (shallow sandbed) 6 cm 2 1/2 inches, worked well for me, but many suggest a bit less or a dsb.

If interested... here a great read on that is happening with your tank now and what you want to see...

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/inde...on-cycling-breaking-in-a-new-reef-tank.26180/

Rini

Thanks Glenn. Good read indeed!

Found 2 new species on the LR. 1 looks like a zoanthid. It is nice green. I noticed when the lights go out it abrogate (hope i found the right translation). When the lights goes on, it pretty fast opens again.
It is a nice thing to see.

IMG_1240.jpg

Another thing i found, looks like small flowers.

IMG_1234.jpg

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the 1st could also be aiptasia

here one example... retracting... makes me think it's not a zoa or polyp - like manjo... you want to kill theses

aiptamut.jpg

Rini

In the meanwhile i will order some Aiptasia-X if it is an bad one, i remove it. perhaps an silly idea. Is it an idea to give it the aiptasia-x, guess when it is bad (manjo / Aiptasia) then it dies. If not one of these then it survive?

Rini

Aiptasia-X is ordered, it looks more and more that it is an manjo. It sits in the stone it seems. When i power on the light, you do not see it. After some seconds it is appearing slowly and opens.

As soon the Aiptasia-X arrive I will kill him. Sadly, it is looking pretty nice. Nice green color.

dgilbert2

Sounds good.
I never vacuum the sand in my tanks but I have some snails that lives in the sandbed.
My opinion is to leave the tank alone as much as possible and keep it stable, don't mess with it. (Sorry for my spelling.)
Good luck!
Personally I find the subject of sand quite interesting. In my early years I just left the sand to it, but after a couple of years I had a massive nuisance algae problem. I tried everything like you do, more water changes, replaced my RO/DI membrane and resin, changed salt etc etc etc.

Nothing worked until I looked at the sand. SO, I decided to siphon it all out. OMG, I could not believe it, my buckets became almost thick brown due to all the trapped dirt. Within two weeks of the sand out of the system, the nuisance algae started to rapidly die back and soon disappeared altogether. That was 6 years ago, I've had a bare bottom ever since and the nuisance algae has never returned. Now each week I just go around the base of my rocks with an old power head to stir up any collecting dirt. I like to see the base "sparkle" :)

Now the experts will I'm sure tell me what I did wrong at the time with the sand but the lesson for me is be careful about taking the "leave alone" to an extreme that it gradually builds up a hidden problem, until one day :(

Rini

Thats where i'm worried about too. I saw it with 1 of the member of the dutch forum. She had some sandbed. It got a gray / brown spot. And it appeared that something was rotting halfway the sanbed.
And same what you describe.
Well let's see. I want a bit more sand as I have now (1 cm+/-).
During my water change in the nano I move the sand a bit to keep it clean.

Ok.
We are on day 8 of the step plan.
Today the day 8 program followed.
Checked some stuff.
PH 8.4
dKH 8.6
Did not need to add Coralline to get the dKH up. It is above the 8.4 as the program describe. No action needed there.
Further added again 7,5 ml Nopox. Smells like glue :)

Tomorrow : day 9 will be the same excersise as today.
Schermafbeelding 2015-07-05 om 13.39.18.png
Everything looking good so far. I see green algae start to grow on the rocks.

The strange monster, most likely snail, never seen again. Guess it has found a good spot in the rock.

Today did an refill of my ATO water jerrycan. The tank consume pretty much water. It is an 25 liter jerrycan, and if i must guess around 5-10 liter left. So thats around 15 liter per week.
Didn't really keep an close eye on it. To be honest. I made now an comment in my digital papers. Have now an 25 liter jerrycan filled, lets see how it goes.

The tank is doing great. No leaks, equipment is running fine. No worries there.
Since I have read the temperature thing in my post, i'm not worried about that anymore. Or it must get real hot in the tank. But for now seems ok.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Rini

And we landed on day 9 of the step plan.
Things going as expected and described in the manual.
PH 8.4
dKH 8.6
No need to dose coralline to up the dKH.
Again 7,5ml Nopox added.
Capture.JPG

Tomorrow again more testing of the water. like nitrite / Ammonia and so on.

For now we going pretty good.
Found another Manjo, a very small one. Hope i'm able to use the aiptasia-x on it, they are so fast!
Thats what worries me a bit, they retract so damn fast. Probably i'm way to slow.

Rini

That will be a problem. As soon they even see me move they go back in the stone.
Perhaps I must wait with the seringe pretty close in the water, when they come out slowly go to them.
Will be trail and error :)

My wife went downstairs tonight, and found another hitcchiker. Looks like a wurmy thing, around cm if she had to guess.
Any idea's?

Pat24601

Definitely going to take a more expert eye than mine to ID it. I see it, but can't make it out well.

If you like, you could post in the hitchhiker ID forum and see if anyone has thoughts.

Desmond

Great thread so it is :)
That does not look like Zoanthids to me , if it is aptasia i would take the rock out if possible and scrub it hard to see from the picture though. It spreads like wild fire or you could get a few peppermint shrimps they will soon take care of it as stated aptasia x is great to just make sure you get them all :) .The second pic is Jasmine Polyps as mentioned above. They are nice but can also spread fast and take over the tank. Look forward to seeing more of your thread such great detail time and though is going into this tank. Great to see your little one so interested :) Have you plans for what you are going to stock in the tank fish only with live rock or will you have corals also ? Have you had any issues with heat in the tank as i know it can be warm in holland in the summer :) You have a good supplier in Dejong marine life being from holland :)