Return Pump for 150 wide?

bluespotjawfish

I'm in the process of purchasing a 150 wide for the new place. It will have a single corner overflow. The bulkhead drain will be 1-1/2 inches (which they say will handle up to 1500 gph.

The tank package quoted included a 2500 Rio pump for the return pump. That seems strange to me. Is that what you would use on this system? If not, what would you use and why.

I want something that will be quiet, energy efficient, and not overheat the tank.

I'm buying this today, so please respond asap!

michael_cb_125

Hello Lorraine!!

Are you going to be using an in sump return pump or dry return.

If you are going to be using a wet return I would consider an Eheim.
Since having my Elos and using eheim pumps I will never use anything else. They are quiet, cool-running, and powerful.

I would look at the 1262 which is 900 gph.

For a return pump you do not need a very high turnover. Since its basic function is to return water to the tank, why spend alot of money and electricity on a high gph pump?

Also the Germans use apply this concept to their tanks: Dwell Time. The longer the water is in the sump the longer it is in contact with the skimmer, chemical and mechanical media.

~Michael

bluespotjawfish

Thanks Michael!

I guess the problem is tied back to the sump. With the ASM G2 there isn't enough room for a larger submersible pump in the same chamber.

What do you think about the Turbo Sea 1090 (840' at 5' head)?

The only circulation pump that will be on the tank is my vortech.

michael_cb_125

Personally I would not use the Turbo Sea. I am not a fan of coralife products.

Another thing to consider is that the Eheim can be ran dry as well. :) And it has a very small footprint, and uses very little power.

~Michael

bluespotjawfish

The sump they quoted me was the Eshopps 150. I am now looking for a better sump! This one wouldn't have room for a refugium either.