Restart

buya27

I am restarting my tank and have a lot of questions. First I want to get into coral and I am unsure if I should put coral in first after I have cycled my tank before the fish or fish first. Second how long should I cycle my tank before I add anything. I am changing my equipment around so I hope things should go better. Should I use a mirical mud for live plants or should I stay away from that. I would like to incorporate live plants into my tank so it is more self sufficient. My last go at this wasn't good. I forgot to mention that it is a 180 gl tank with a sump that is 40 gl. Thanks for any assistance

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

From post I have read... I think I would skip the mud. Once the tank cycles... I always added, a cuc, 1st fish, 1st coral.

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

DaveK

By "live plants" I assume you mean macro algae species. For these it is not necessary to use any mud or dirt or similar product. They do not absorb nutrients through their "roots". These root like structures are called holdfasts and only anchor the plant.

If your going to grow macro algae it is best done in a separate tank or refugium that is apart from the main display tank. Some of these algae species can get out of control fast and overcome corals your trying to grow. That being said, you can keep macro algaes in the main tank, but you really need to keep an eye on them.

The use of Miracle Mud is not something I would recommend. It is extremely expensive and had not been demonstrated to be better than anything else. As for the other muds out there, I would tend to not use them if I wanted typical SPS and LPS corals. I feel that mud, while it has some advantages, also has a lot of disadvantages. Corals require very high quality water, and this can be harder to reach if your using mud in the system. That being said, there are people that do use mud based refugiums and have excellent results.

Since you want to have corals, I would go with comparatively few fish, and keep most of them on the small size. I would add a few fish first and run the tank for a few months before I added a lot of corals.

Your also going to have to make some choices as to the types of corals you want to have. While many people do mix them, you are often better off keeping mostly soft corals or mostly LPS and SPS corals. I tend to like soft corals because they are very easy to keep and frag. They are also less demanding than many SPS corals.

With corals it is important to read up on the species before you purchase it. Some a lovely to look at but difficult to keep alive any length of time.