Removing red slime of death from leather corals

OHmariner

Hey everyone,
So i have been doing a ton of research but I really need some of your advice. I have read four different books, spent a ton of time online reading. I know what red slime is, I know how it forms and how to avoid it in the future.

My problem is, until i get everything under control what do I do about it? I have a leather coral this is slowly getting taken over by red slime. I touched it today to see if any of the slime would come off and a small peice of the leather broke off :waa:

I know what my water quality should be, but do you have any advice to save my leather in the mean time?? I started feeding much less, but I can honestly say, I never had any red slime until I got this leather coral :doh:

As always, your help is HIGHLY appreciated.

sambrinar

I would use either a suction hose like the one you use for water changes or a turkey baster and depending on your choice of weapon either suck it off the leather or blow it off and then suck it out with the siphon.

The leather should heal IMO either way you gotta get it off to give it a chance sooo WTH go for it

lcstorc

I use a small power head to blow the slime off of the leather. They are pretty hardy. Even the piece that broke off has a good chance of living.

OHmariner

Thank you, I appreciate the input! I have a better idea of what route to take now.

I think im going to try a waterchange and use a small tube to attempt to suck the red slime off. I was so suprised when the little peice broke off, I barely touched it, it must have been dieing from the red slime being on it for a week or so. The red slime patch is only the size of a quarter and the leather is about the size of a real small apple, if that makes any sense lol.

In the meantime, i have been custom tailoring my feeding and doing waterchanges every 4 days. I think i was overfeeding because I was affraid of my flame scallop not being able to forage enough food. Both of my gobies swim right up the tip of my turkey baster everytime I feed so I know they are eating well.