Removed Fluval

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Today, I went over to Mark's (MWRager) house and he generously gave me couple mushrooms (pics coming soon:D), and while I was there, he gave me his old powersweep 228 (270 gph, doesn't rotate anymore, but who cares its got some cool stuff growing on it instead, and flows full power still) so when I got home while I was anxiously waiting for my shrooms to aclimate I replaced the fluval 404 (340 gph) with the powersweep. Basically all I used the fluval for was an extra 2 gallons of water capacity, and extra flow. In my tank the flow went from 1100 gph to 1030, so not much difference in flow, and I got plenty to spare:D Was this a good choice, I think so, It did free up a little space in my stand, which is good.

Sorry, dumb reason to post, but I just wanted to get your opinon on removing it.

sharks

Contributing Member
If it was empty then I don't think you did any harm. Like you said you made room in the cabinet for something else...Yes there is always something else :D

If the canister had anything in it (even a sponge) then you did well. They just collect detritus and most people don’t clean them often enough. In the end you would have nitrate problems with a canister running any media.
Just my .02
S

fidojoe

Fish Addict
There was nothing in it, I removed everything in september, and only ran sponges as an emergency measure when I added sand and needed the water to clear faster. As for nitrates, mine are as undetectable as they can get, or so says my lfs using their salifert kits, but the less I produce, the less goes into my sandbed.

sharks

Contributing Member
Sounds good to me :whstlr:
I actually have a LFS near me that is selling people a Wet/Dry and a canister as a reef system. I can only shake my head and ask why?
Canisters are good for a quick fix like you did… clearing a cloudy tank due to sand. I use one to clean out the crud from my sump. Just takes a few minuets to slurp up the sludge every other month.
S

Last edited:

Maxx

I always hated taking apart cannister filters. The damn things leak, o-ring seals slip off....I got annoyed w/ em. Dont think I'll use em again. I think you did good. JMO,
Nick

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Beleive it or not, I've never had a problem with my fluval, and its pretty easy to clean. The only thing that has happened with it, was when I did a real thourogh cleaning on it a while back, I dropped the impeller cover, and it bounced, and broke one of the clips that holds it in, but it still worked perfectly afterwards, so I never replaced it.