Regrowing the Great Barrier Reef with electricity

DaveK

I came across this article where steel frames with electricity passing through them and frags mounted on them are being used to help regrow the Great Barrier Reef. The corals seem to grow 3 to 4 times faster them normal. I'm wondering if we'll be seeing similar methods used for coral growth in our reef systems.

Here is the link (offsite) - https://www.newscientist.com/articl...o-regrow-great-barrier-reef-with-electricity/

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Looks like they are using the electricity for something similar to electrodeposition. The electro-accumulation causes the steel to calcify on the exterior (mechanical mineral accretion?), providing a more suitable surface for baby coral to latch on to. Then, the buildup continues after the corals latch on.

Oddly, SPS frags can tolerate this electrical current, and it compounds their growth rates because it provides a cumulative effect of allowing the coral to grab more calcium out of the water more efficiently. We are talking visible results after just a few days.

If there is enough interest in a device like this for a frag tank or test tank, perhaps it might be worth us developing this into a commercial product?

Even if you aren't trying to accelerate frag growth, perhaps making custom shaped rocks might be of interest. I know how difficult it is to find the perfect shape piece of live rock sometimes, so why not just grow the right shape yourself?

Reply if you are interested?

-Jeff