Refugium Sump for RSM 130

brian whitman

I have an RSM 130 (about 6 years old). Have done most of the mods including LED (in hood, Steve's LEDs), Tunze Doc skimmer, InTank media basket, Eheim replacement return pumps. Just bought an RO/DI and a Tunze Osmolator for ATO. Now I'm looking at a refugium sump.

My goal is to keep pristine water and make the tank more stable. I think a refugium sump will help make the water better (want to keep some SPS) by using a bigger, better skimmer, and also chaeto algae in the fuge. Also I think a filter sock will do a better job than the blue/white floss i'm using in the media basket.

Trying to decide b/w a DIY or a retail solution. If I go retail I think I will go with the Eshopps Cube medium (my stand is not the one it comes with and is bigger) and maybe a Skimz skimmer. For the overflow I'm looking at the Lifereef one. Love their sump but very $$$.

Anyone's thoughts on if a sump is worth it? If I go this route, bigger is better I'd think? Recommendations on DIY vs. Eshopps? If Eshopps should I go Cube Nano or the Cube Medium (about $80 more)? Return pump? Overflow considerations (this has to be quiet, in the family room)? Would love to hear people's experiences and recommendations.

By the way, I recently (about 8 weeks ago) re-set up this tank, it had been down for about 3 months. So second time around on this tank and trying to start off on a really good foot this time. Right now just have live rock, 1 turbo snail, 2 red hermits, 2 cleaner shrimp, a zoa frag and a monti frag.

DaveK

I think you have dome about everything you can reasonably do to a RSM 130. This system is only about 34 gals. Adding a sump and refurium would add some water volume and be nice, but I don't think you would get a large improvement in things. Keep in mind that in a system this size, a 10 gal water change is almost 1/3 the water, so you can easily keep up with nitrates and phosphates and so on.

I recommend you save your money here, especially since you just re-setup the tank.

If you really want a system with all the extras, consider a much larger tank, where all that additional equipment has some justification.