Refugium macroalgae struggling to grow

rostervandross

About a month ago I put together a sump and purchased a clump of chaeto for the refugium which has slowly withered into this:

MLOKYPU.jpg

I've been reading that it is not necessarily a bad thing and I don't have any algae problems in my display tank, but I wonder if I may be missing some nutrients like iron?

Bulb is the TCP 5100k Par38 bulb that is supposed to grow the stuff like crazy

What would you do?

DaveK

What sort of light are you using on it? How many and what wattage are the bulbs? That can make a big difference.

You can try spreading the algae out more, so more circulation can go through it and more light can get to it.

landshark

Like daveK state the light make a difference, how long are you keeping the light on for? is it on a alternate schedule from your display

Danreef

Let see..... How many fish do you have and what is your feeding amount ?

If you do not have algae in the DT and the Cheato is not growing I will think in a lack of food...... = Phosphates.

rostervandross

I have loads of fish at the moment.. so I have nitrates but I think you may be on to something as far as lack of phosphates.

I had a bag of phosguard/phosphate remover in the sump for a while and took it out when no algae was growing in my tank for my algae eating fish to eat. It still is not and I realize that the chemipure sack in my sump also removes phosphates

So do I need to let phosphate develop to grow algae to use the nitrates in my system?