Refugium Lighting

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've read a few articles on-line here & there but I'd like some "been there, done it" advice for a new refugium set up.
All I have in my fuge so far is: a big wad of Cheato, a little bit of red dragons breath, snails, a baby emerald crab, some pods that stay out all the time on the acrylic, micro brittle stars, & a bristle worm or two. And a few spots of red cyano that seems to be going away now that I added a tiny powerhead for more water circulation.

As far as lighting goes:
Should getting it started be different than after it's well established?
Would I be trying to rush it's maturity by running my lights 24 hours?
Is there anything wrong with trying to rush it's maturing process?

I have been running lights on reverse cycle of my DT so far.

I just ordered 1,000 Amphipods/Copepods....should be here this week.
I have no idea if my refugium is ready for them or if I should just put most of them in my tank & not the refugium? I
guess I better get to building some rubble piles for them to live in & hope I didn't screw up getting that many. :bugout:

Suggestion on what I should be doing are appreciated! I feel somewhat clueless :confused:

TripTheTrigger

:fingerx: I need to keep an eye on you! I've been saying a while now that we need to build our refugium, but been stressed over that. I'm sure being here will be very educational & cut down on mistakes. :snowski: I wish you lots of luck!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My refugium light is a Current Satellite Freshwater LED 7.5w (6500K White--445nm Blue)
Would there be any harm in running it 24 hours daily to speed up macro algae growth?

I ran my fuge light 24hr/day for little over a year. Recently began alternating lights on/off opposite of the DT. I have not seen a decline in macro algae growth with the change. My personal opinion is to not run 24hrs/day…it's just not natural. I too am curious to here from others with more experience in this department, as well as thoughts on pH swings.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I kinda feel like everything needs a "rest time" so I'm with you on that.
Maybe I am just trying to rush the maturing of my refugium which might be a :nono:
Like about everything in this hobby, slow is the way to go & we want instant "the best" without waiting.
It's only a month old refugium running on an 11 month old tank.

My nitrates are very low but my phosphate always stays around .16 to .25 and from what I understand (which might be wrong!) phosphate is best at around .05.
My plan for adding the refugium & growing macro was to bring that down & see less film algae in the DT.
Also to grow pods for my fish....which might someday include a Mandarin Goby.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you're not happy with your light, buildmyled out of Texas makes refugium lights catered to what type of macroalgae you want to grow, ie red, green or both.

Mike Johnson

Diana, I have my refugium light on a timer to run 18 hours a day. It's turned off during the high light period.