Reefkeeping Dangers

caitrina

Found something interesting this morning courtesy of Wolfgang posting the initial site. I , of course being curious had to take further steps upon getting there. Don't want to wear gloves????? hmmm, go to this site and look for the section about aegids. it is about 3/4 of the way down the page and the last bug talked about. After the picture of this critter pay particular attention to the 3rd paragraph! YUCK and OUCH!

Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Craig Manoukian

Reproduced from "Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium" by Dr. Ronald L. Shimek, from Reefkeeping.com

"This is an Aegid similar to those collected in aquaria photographed in nature in the waters of northern Puget Sound, Washington, USA. This animal, Rocinela belliceps, was about an inch long and is capable of killing small salmon, and making the lives of some of my students miserable (see below).

About 15 years ago, I had a student who was holding in her clenched hand a 1.5 inch long Aegid. The bug cut through the flesh of her palm, dug in, and started to eat HER. Her vocal response was rather impressive. So was the tenacity of the isopod, it was HARD to remove!"

Great find Cat!

Last edited:

caitrina

Thanks Craig, man wouldn't that be horrible...and I bet there are very few who will even read that...certainly gives me a whole new respect for gloves

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats it, I'm outta here! LOL! And to think i wanted to build a tank one day i could dive in!

caitrina

Nah, don't do that Frankie, all kinds of scary things in there. Sadly enough there will probably not be many who read this; even those who have already experienced problems with other marine life in their own home tanks!

BarbMazz

I read the story about the Aegid just now. Of course, my tank isn't set up yet. Last night I ordered a pair of Aquagloves, and this morning I'm really glad I did.

csmsss

I got nailed by a mantis shrimp several years back - let's just say they don't call them "thumb-busters" for nothing. Wound up having to boil (no, I'm not kidding) - boil all the live rock to get rid of that monster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shermy

The husband got a bristle worm (we think) to the thumb yesterday as we were cleaning some live rock outside of the tank. Thank goodness he is a contractor and has some rough hands. Better him than me!

From one newbie to another....WATCH OUT :)

dianezoo

I just got back from a trip over to Puerto Penasca, thats in Rocky Point Mexico on the sea of Cortez. While there exploring the tide pools, I picked up a few pretty shells and also gathered a couple of snail specimens and hermit crabs for my reef, not to save money just for the joy and fun of it. However this could have been tragic as I learned. When I got back home I quarenteend the snails and crabs and after not finding a reference to id the three kinds of snails I took them to our local reef expert. When I pulled out the bag with the cone snail, Chris jumped back and said where did you get that! Did you pick this up with your bare hands? Yes, and he showed me how lucky I was. This particular snail has a spear like appendage that it uses to sting and kill prey. Usually fish but has been known to kill people with its strong neuro toxins. Yeow my trip could have been tragic or at least painful. Beware of those cone shaped snails.

molsen187

over the past few days i've noticed what i thought were mosquito bites on my hand in between my fingers. today i noticed them on the palm of my hand, could this be something to do with the tank. they don't really itch like bug bites, but i wear gloves every time i'm in the tank. i am allergic to some shellfish, but there aren't any of them in my tank so im not sure. i don't have health insurance so i'm not going to the dr. just thought i'd ask on here and see if anyone might know what it is. they are just on my right hand which is the main hand i use inside the tank.

molsen187

its all good, i talked to a nurse at my work and she told me it is probably from the iodine in the water. that is what i'm allergic to in shellfish so that would explain it. it's weird because i always wear gloves in the tank though.

lcstorc

That is odd.
Smart that you wear gloves, particularly if you know you have a sensitivity. You could have a really bad reaction without them.
Hopefully she is right. I would keep an eye on it and try to keep your hands out of the tank even with gloves. See if it fades or gets worse.

Heliox

Thanks to all for this thread. I have aquagloves but have been inconsistent using them. Not anymore, and not after finding so many creatures on my uncured rocks this set up.
This should be mandatory reading, especially the information about zooanthids containing such deadly toxins.