Reef Test Kit or invest in Hanna Checkers

I think its time to start checking other parameters and would like your opinions on reef test kits. If you were me, would you just buy an API reef test kit and call it a day, invest in digital checkers like the Hanna Checkers, or a hybrid approach. I understand that the Hanna Checkers are a bit more expensive up front but then again you have the recurring cost of the API test kits and added frustration of color wheels. Your opinions and product recommendations would help me out ALOT! I hate spending cash and then finding out later a better way that would have ultimately saved me money in the long run. I really appreciate your input :crowd:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
If I had the money available, I would invest in the Hanna checkers for sure. The time it takes for me to mess around with the vials and matching to the colors... BLECH!

kyle4201

The 1st few times I did total testing with my api master kit it took a while,, but now I have a system down,, its like 15 min tops,, and since I do every 2 week 20 gallon w/c & nothing ever changes I only test once a month now.

reefle

I think it really depends on your setup. if you have like a 20-40 gallon with average livestock, I'd say API. now if you have like a 100+gallon with all kinds of corals, fish, inverts, etc. I would probably go better quality.

reefer gladness

I wouldn't use API test kits, I prefer Salifert.

I love electronic gadgets but if it's not cost-effective for my LFS to use Hanna checkers I don't see how it can be for me. Remember they still have to calibrated (calibration fluid sold separately) which takes time and they don't test for everything. Maybe if I had a dozen independent frag tanks it would save me enough time to be worth while.

kyle4201

I wouldn't use API test kits, I prefer Salifert.

I love electronic gadgets but if it's not cost-effective for my LFS to use Hanna checkers I don't see how it can be for me. Remember they still have to calibrated (calibration fluid sold separately) which takes time and they don't test for everything. Maybe if I had a dozen independent frag tanks it would save me enough time to be worth while.
Yea, i see that point now. If you only have 1 or 2 tanks,, by the time you calibrated the digital,, you could have just checked with the API, lol. im good with my master kit. :)

I'm kinda surprised more people didn't chime in on what test kits they use and what they have found to be most convent. I know what you mean though Kyle about parameters not changing, my basics water quality checks are always good these days. Just have to watch the nitrates with all the dead snails.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You calibrate the Hanna checkers each time you use them takes 90 seconds. They work fine for me, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium. I use Red Sea for nitrates & magnesium. On occasion, I send my water to www.aquariumwatertesting.com and get a more in depth report by a true laboratory.

slfcaptain

You calibrate the Hanna checkers each time you use them takes 90 seconds. They work fine for me, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium. I use Red Sea for nitrates & magnesium. On occasion, I send my water to www.aquariumwatertesting.com and get a more in depth report by a true laboratory.

How do you like the Ca checker? Of the Hanna checkers its reviews are not as good as the others.

steve

Choff

I'm a big fan of the red sea test kits. If you buy the reef pack (ca,alk, mg) it's pretty reasonable. I highly highly recommend the Hannah phosphate. The Alk is very good too. I do not like the calcium at all and I think that opinion is fairly universal.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ptbmaniac

I bought API for the cycle,but I also have the Hanna checkers! When it is time for inhabitants I think the Hanna checkers are the way to go.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The Hanna calcium really doesn't make testing calcium any easier or faster than doing it with a regular kit, therefore if you haven't purchased stick with red sea.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
All three Hanna Checkers over here and I love them. To me, there is nothing like a digital readout.

For Magnesium I use an Elos kit. I also hate titration test kits and the Elos in not a titration test:)