reef tank chemistry help

carmexx

well I have a 46 gal reef tank, 20 high gal sump, skimmer, PH, led lighting, RKE controller, etc... I was dosing Mg to try and kill off the Bryopsis in my tank and really think i was succesful. The is no evidence of any in there, although, as i have read other forms of algae will grow to take it's place if the nutrients are not eliminated, I think.

OK, i have been logging my testing and wc schedule with an excel worksheet I found somewhere. I stopped dosing mg about 3 weeks ago... it was at 1800, lol yes 1800. over the course of the 3 weeks til now it has gone down to 1650(today). I have done four 5 gal wc in that time period hoping to slowly bring down the levels.

Now I have checked calcium and it's been hovering around 380-425. It was 425 today. Now I think that is a bit high too, but i think it is b/c of the mg.

I am concerned about the KH though. Disturbingly it was at 6.4 today, but has always run low or close to 7. I know that is NSW value but it is sure close to disaster if you ask me. I'd be comfy around 8. Well the big question is should i dose some mrs wages to help the KH? I am reluctant to dose b/c I do not wanna upset the #'s even more.

Here is a current FTS.

I don't see much, or any negative effects on fish, corals, inverts, etc. The only thing going on is a bleaching of an sps acropora, which is starting from the base up. It used to have a symbiotic porcelin crab but he disappeared. Could that be the reason for the bleaching? Prob not, but just throwing that out there. All other sps has polyp extension, acans doing well, and rbta is doing great.

i am welcoming any input as to how to move forward with dosing the tank or not.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Calcium at 425 is good! If you're pushing well over 500, then you're on the high side. I keep mine around 440. Bleaching is usually a response to lighting (too much, too close, etc.), but I'm sure the bigger experts will have more to say on that since I'm not an SPS keeper.

Since you are still changing the parameters with water changes, I would wait to see if the KH will level out on its own once the MG comes down. I wouldn't want to keep messing with dosing and have it be overkill.

Everyone else, please chime in!

carmexx

Thanks Mayja. I thought my lighting was high to. I am around 65% on my hydra's and put it in an acclimation period of 1 week with 20% reduction and moved the acropora down to sandbed. I do see tissue pulling away from the acro.

Choff

Hey Carmexx, I think you got good advice above and just wait. Do you normally dose to adjust your ca/mg/kh? If you don't then I wouldn't suggest chasing numbers. Your tank looks like you have it has been running for sometime and the corals all look great. Listen to your tank, pay attention to the numbers, but don't react to quickly to them.

....now if I would only listen to my own advice :D

carmexx

Thanks. It has been up for about 3 years. I have been dosing MG to get it up high to kill the bryopsis. I have stopped recently as i had seen results.