Reef safe ich treatments...

MrMattyMooks

I am setting up a qt this time, but for the future i was curious about the advertised "reef/invert safe" ich treatment.

I bought something called Kordon, 100% organic ich treatment. says 100% reef/invert safe but i was nervous to use.

does anyone have experience with this? any advice would be appreciated.

thank you
matt

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I pulled this from another forum and this is what he had to say from hie FRESHWATER experience:

From my experience, this is what I took from it:
1. Takes a long time for this medication to cure ich compared to copper based products.
2. Not 100% invert-safe.
3. Ever since I dosed enough medication in the tank that ended up killing my shrimp and snails, I could never add any more inverts in there as they would all die within a day. Even after water changes! It must have been absorbed in the substrate.
4. I'm probably not going to use this product again.

I wouldn't try it......but that's easy to say for me because i'm ich free at the moment.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
IMHO there is no viable Reef Safe treatment. If there was it would be all the rage and EVERYONE would be talking about it.

DaveK

What it comes down to is -

1. There are no effective treatments that are "reef safe" period. No matter what the label or box says, no matter what the LFS says, no matter what others might say, there just aren't any.

2. Never ever medicate a reef system to treat a fish disease. Always treat in a quarantine tank. No exceptions.

Consider those two points repeated... many times.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
No medication that is considered "reefsafe" is powerful enough to eliminate the parasite that causes Ich.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
you don't want anything in the QT......sponge filter and a barebottom. Lee has a post on here of how to do it......let me find it.

nightfire76

IMHO there is no viable Reef Safe treatment. If there was it would be all the rage and EVERYONE would be talking about it.

i agree if there were someone to come out with that it would be very talked about...rather expensive im sure and again very very talked about im sure lol