Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB

tnwillia

I purchased this as a back-up skimmer for my RSM 250 where my Primary is the EuroReef Nano RSM 250 skimmer.

Octopus Hang-on-the-Back
with OTP2000
• Item #: OCT-BH-2000
• Dimensions: 7.75" x 3.25" x 17"
• Includes OTP 2000 pump
• Rated up to 125 gallons. (varies due to bio load of system)

Out of the box, I had the unit assembled in 10 minutes. It is about 95% built out of the box. You still have to install the pump and its plumbing.
DSC00983.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

Coralvue has also come out with a new impeller for the Octopus line of pumps. My 2000 pump came with the old style needle wheel. I purchased the new pin wheel impeller and installed it in the pump, keeping the needle wheel as a back-up.
DSC00989.jpg

For those with ER Nano RSM skimmers here is a side by side to get an idea of the BH-2000 size.
DSC00990.jpg

Be sure to water test your unit before putting it in your tank. It took me 3 tries to get the 3 lock down screws in the external pump sealed and not leaking. I had read in other threads of people having this problem and using thread tape, I did this, in my case this made the leaks happen. In the end, I used the supplied O-rings with plumber’s silicone grease and hand tightened. I got a good seal and no leaks. I also added the ty-rap on the air line as I read on one person who had this work off and flood his floor.

Now I was ready to put it in my tank. I found out right away both input and output pipes were too short to reach the water in my back chamber. This was my main modifications to fit the RSM 250. I had to extend both pipes. This was not straight forward as the skimmer uses UPVC and my local building supply only carries PVC. The I/D is different. Here is what I ended up with as a working solution. Note, the overflow cup is not shown installed in the picture on the input pipe.

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

Once in my tank I filled it with 8” of SW as directed. I plugged it in but got no bubbles. You have to have the air line clear and closed when you start the pump. Once the pump is running you can open the air and the bubbles will start. It took me a few tries to get this but once it started I got good bubble production from then on. This pump is very quiet, and being external there is no heat being generated into my tank.

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

DSC01004.jpg

I’ll continue this thru skimmer break-in over the next couple of weeks. Again this is my going to be my back-up skimmer. I really don’t want this big HOB riding above my tank full time. I’m sure this may be perfect for others and I hope the info may help.

Enjoy....Tom

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom very nice pics - and review so far... best of luck !!! :)

Hope it skims like you want it to... looks like quality material...

tnwillia

Thanks Guys... This is a solid built skimmer. I've still got the cup real high just to make sure the pump is going to work consistantly. I've got a wet bubble column into the cup building now. I'll lower it in an hour or so and see if it's ready to start producing. I read 1 thread where a guy was getting good dark skim in the first 24 hours. AS dirty as my tank is now being without a skimmer for going on 4 weeks.....We'll see......

tnwillia

livingword26.....Aquacave has the pinwheel impellers on their site with the Octopus line of skimmer pumps. Their not cheap!

tnwillia

Brad.... Questions for you, do you get "dry" bubbles up the tube of the skimmer cup? At what level is your skimmer cup setting down in the body (1/4, 1/2, 3/4)? Thanks!

tnwillia

At almost 24hrs into break-in, here are 3 short videos. 2 show bubble production ans skim collection. 3dr is for RSM owners showing you have the ability to open the stock hood thru all levels with this skimmer. Enjoy!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looking good so far! Did it come with the airline silencer or did you "borrow" that from the Euro-Reef skimmer?

tnwillia

One feature I really like on this skimmer is the small hole between the input & out chamber (see the arrow). The cup is not a tight fit so there is a chance for water to creep up the side of the cup and spill. By using the set screw above the hole you force the cup onto the far wall and create a better gap on the left side. The water creeping up the sides now can overflow into the output chamber via the hole. I found this and figured it out just before the creeping water hit the top last night and spilled.

DSC01012.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great documentation Tom !!! It looks like it's churning out the bubbles... hope once it breaks in, it skims well for you !

I know you won't miss the heat in the tank from the internal pump of the rsm skimmer :)

tnwillia

Came with it Terry. A well put together package. AquaCave told me all the Octopus pump models will have the pinwheel impellers in the near future. The older needle wheels are no longer being sold. So far so good!

tnwillia

Your right Glenn. That was also why I looked at this model instead of the 300 you talked about, it had internal pumps. But all in all, my ER goes back in the tank as soon as I finish testing this and get the new impellers. Thanks!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If nothing else it's always good to have a spare skimmer that works well. That's why I've kept my Tunze & Remora skimmers, rather than sell them. I know you said the pump is quiet, so I assume the whole unit runs quietly?

tnwillia

I can't here it at all, I put my hand on the pump to feel it running. It's quiet. I'm sure there is some sound but with my hearing there is nothing at all. I learned my lesson, I will not be without a working skimmer again.

tnwillia

Update... 4 days into turn on and I'm getting good skim and nice dry bubbles up the tube. Skimmer cup always seems to keep a condensation layer in it so the picture may not be that good. I'm very happy with this so far.

But, I've also been spoiled by the nasty skim I'm use to getting on a daily basis with my ER Nano RSM 250. This skim is not as dense or dark in color, the smell is getting there though. In 4 days I've emptied the cup twice, each time it was less than what can be seen here today. Contents in the cup in this picture is about 36 hours.

Enjoy....

DSC01059.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hey Tom - as least it's taking gunk out of the tank and appears to be a good back-up to the Euro-Reef.

Last edited: