Reef Confrontation in the Waters of Hawaii’s Big Island

Oxylebius

Reef Confrontation in the Waters of Hawaii’s Big Island

"When an underwater video surfaced early this week showing an aquarium fisherman rush a Sea Shepherd Conservation Society diver and knock the scuba air regulator from her mouth, it was physical proof that the more-than-decade old battle over Hawaii’s aquarium fishery is far from over."

"Even with the best available science showing that the collection of reef fish in Hawaiian waters is sustainable, even with state biologists stating the Big Island fishery is amongst the best managed in the State, and even with new rules in place to ensure that the reefs on the Kona Coast of the the Big Island are not overfished and that the corals are not harmed, a vocal faction of the anti-aquarium movement in Hawaii continue to claim the Island’s reefs are being “raped.”"

"This incident signals another unwelcome escalation in the battle over Hawaii’s largest aquarium fishery. To many outside observers, it’s difficult to comprehend. To nearly every insider, it’s almost too much to bear."

To read more and see the video here

DaveK

Thanks for posting this.

I read the article and watched the video. In my opinion, the Sea Shepherd people are way out of line here. They went out looking for a confrontation with the aquarium fishermen, and they got one. From the article, "According to a Sea Shepherd spokesperson, 'Sea Shepherd uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document, and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities on the high seas.'"

To me, it was rather obvious that the Sea Shepherd people were making the video looking for the slightest infraction of any collecting rules and most likely going to use the video to show what they consider harming the reef. The aquarium fishermen were there doing their legal collecting. I can blame them for being mad.

Granted the action taken by one the fisherman was out of bounds, but I fail to see how it placed the Sea Shepherd diver in any real danger.

Lastly, there are many other things that do a lot more damage to the reef than legally collecting some fish for the aquarium trade. Why not go after the major problems, rather than the few people that are aquarium fishermen?

Snid

Why not go after the major problems, rather than the few people that are aquarium fishermen?

I'd have to read more before getting into any real serious discussions, but I can comment on Dave's thoughtful last statement. I've been to Maui twice, and the one thing that all the locals agreed upon was that the large ferry boats that hopped from island to island with travelers and their cars and the massive cruise liners were damaging the reefs. Of course, the debates with everyone there were whether or not they should be stopped, limited, or let them all keep going. The last time I was there, the local media was claiming that the cruise liners were becoming a large reason as to why many of specific types of fish were struggling there (for the life of me I can't recall what kind).

Side Note: Just to show how human intervention can cause a domino effect... Years ago the Orca Whale was near extinction from hunting. The international community put a ban on their hunting, protecting them from any and all. The Orca Whale population not only recovered, but is booming better than before. Ironically, however, because they are no longer being hunted, the Sea Otter is suffering and could be going extinct because they are all being eaten by protected Orca Whales.

Steve L

Actually the sea otter population is suffering from several virus' that are having a huge impact on their numbers. Orcas have little to do with the decline in otter populations. Otters and some species of sea lions can catch many of the same illnesses as humans including herpes and even the flu.

Diverjohn

Regulator recovery is one of the first skills that is taught. If you can't find your primary reg, then your octo should be right in the middle of your chest. And for someone with over a thousand dives I don't think she was in too much danger having her reg pulled out. There would have been some fear in my mind of what he was going to do. I don't agree with the guy attacking her, not much reason for that.

In any case Sea Shepard just wants to say they stopped the aquarium trade. Troll fishing does more damage to reefs then taking some fish off the reef. They just drag weighted nets over the bottom and destroy anything in the way.