Reef Adventure in Dubai - My First Marine Aquarium

Flore

Hey, been lurking for a while and now it's time to start a thread. I'm based out of Dubai and just about to move into a new place, so what better time than this to start an aquarium .

I used to have fresh water on / off from when I was 12, and my dad had a 400L marine aquarium, so I am somewhat familiar with keeping fish, but this is my first reef aquarium.

A few basic requirements:

- 300-400L
- Sump
- Cabinet needed
- LED lights preferred
- Don't want to build too much myself, so somewhat plug and play would be good

In terms of tanks, here is what I am looking at:

- My place is relatively small, and I have a perfect spot in a corner, so was looking at the Juwel Trigon 350. It's a pain to convert it to marine though, so I thought of getting a custom built one, but of course that's a very expensive option out here.
- Red Sea Reefer 350
- Eheim Incpiria 400
- Aqua Medic Magnifica 130 CF (haven't seen this one in person yet, unsure)

In terms of equipment, here is what I am looking at (mix of my research and dealer recommendations):

UPDATED July 14th!

- Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-SSS 110
- Wave maker: EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD or Maxspect Gyre XF130
- Lights: Zet Light - ZS7000
- Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro / 22kg
- Sand: Red Sea Base 10kg (might mix with more grainy one)
- Heater: Eheim 100
- Return Pump: Eheim Compact 3000
- Chiller: Hailea 300A
- Chiller Return Pump: Eheim Compact 1000
- Carbon for start: Hailea Carbon pack
- Mechanical Filter: Produc Ceramic

Would appreciate your comments and thoughts on skimmer, return pump, heater and wave maker.
I'd like to run it up with live rock placed on plexiglass at the bottom of the tank.

I also want to put some sort of controller like the Reef Keeper in, might do that over time though. Anything I should consider or know here in terms of extensibility and compatibility? Haven't done too much research here.

This one will be a slow build over 4-5 months I think, will document it here :)

Best,
Florian

Last edited:

Pat24601

Welcome to the forums! Would love to see a tank thread when you get one started.

I have the Red Sea 250 and love it. I think the company does a great job keeping things simple and efficient. So, the reefer looks good to me, but I haven't tried it.

I can't speak knowledgeably about other systems.

Start a tank thread when you are ready!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Flore :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

Your plans sound like good ones. I like the 300-400 liter range tank size.
Looking forward to seeing PICTURES when you get started.

Very BEST WISHES....:cruiser:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Big Pete

Hi Flore

Welcome to the forum

I too am based in Dubai, I run an RSM250, you are correct about the heater, no need but a chiller is an essential, you will be able to pick a Hallia up in dragon mart for about 1250DHS.

if you need any assistance send me a PM, we are all here to help.

Eid Mubarak when it comes.

Flore

Hi Pete - thanks for the note, highly appreciated. I'll probably run my final list and prices by you, maybe you know where to get a bargain.

Which shop do you use / recommend?

DaveK

In looking at your equipment list, I don't see any real problems, but here are a few cautions.

This forum has a lot of Red Sea fans. They make a fine system, but the others your looking at are very good also. I'm not a fan of corner tanks because they present a lot of problems with lighting and filtration. They can be used and you can still have a great tank, but it will be more effort to get it just right.

I would avoid the Maxspect Gyre XF130. There have been quite a few posts on the web about them failing in a few months. Looks like a great idea but poorly executed.

The Orbit Marine PRO 4112 / 4113 is a bit of a light weight fixture. Choose something better.

Omit the Seachem PHOSGUARD 250ML, Seachem DE NITRATE 500ML and the BioPellet Reactor, NP REDUCING FILTER MINI-70-X 400L initially. These are the sort of products you should only add if your really need them. Many people don't. Also there is the question of sizing everything, sometimes a small reactor will work, other times you need something larger. Bu not getting this stuff up front, you save some money, and if you do need it, the gear is easily added later, and your not going to spend any more they you would have originally.

As for controllers, it's only worth getting one when you have all the other basic equipment up to where you want it. Do a lot of planning here. Figure out what you want to control, and how much controller you really need. It's really easy to over buy and spend way too much.

Always get top quality equipment. This does not mean most expensive. You'll only need to buy it once, and it will last.

Big Pete

Hi Florian

first off the disclaimer, this is only my opinion, right then lets get down to business.

Good stores
Think Fish DIP, these guys are good and very knowledgeable, i buy fish and corals from there.

BPK Global Garhoud, i buy corals from there but never fish, i don't trust them with my fish purchases, they also have good supplies of media etc.. they carry Seachem, Chemi Pure all the big names in the industry.
Premier Pets International City China Cluster, these guys are salt water only, i purchase both fish and corals from them.

The Rest are rubbish and dangerous, bad quality fish, they only want to sell, they don't care what happens to your tank, they are good for supplies if you need something that that top three don't have but that's it.

Tank hardware is a tough one, prices here are stupid expensive, e.g i wanted to purchase a Tunze ATO, the dealer here wanted 572 USD, in the states its approx 149 USD.
I normally ship from both the US and the UK, i use Charterhouse Aquatics in the UK and Bulk Reef Supplies or TB Aquatics New Jersey, i just purchased Ecotech Radions, i got a price from online printed it off and spoke with BPK, i asked them to match the price plus 5% for shipping and they agreed, so that is another way you can go.

i think that's it for now, any other info needed just let me know.

Happy Reefing

Pat24601

Hi Florian

first off the disclaimer, this is only my opinion, right then lets get down to business.

Good stores
Think Fish DIP, these guys are good and very knowledgeable, i buy fish and corals from there.

BPK Global Garhoud, i buy corals from there but never fish, i don't trust them with my fish purchases, they also have good supplies of media etc.. they carry Seachem, Chemi Pure all the big names in the industry.
Premier Pets International City China Cluster, these guys are salt water only, i purchase both fish and corals from them.

The Rest are rubbish and dangerous, bad quality fish, they only want to sell, they don't care what happens to your tank, they are good for supplies if you need something that that top three don't have but that's it.

Tank hardware is a tough one, prices here are stupid expensive, e.g i wanted to purchase a Tunze ATO, the dealer here wanted 572 USD, in the states its approx 149 USD.
I normally ship from both the US and the UK, i use Charterhouse Aquatics in the UK and Bulk Reef Supplies or TB Aquatics New Jersey, i just purchased Ecotech Radions, i got a price from online printed it off and spoke with BPK, i asked them to match the price plus 5% for shipping and they agreed, so that is another way you can go.

Happy Reefing

Wow, great detailed post!

Big Pete

Oh Florian

i forgot about Robert in The Pet Store DIP, this guy will build you a custom tank if you want to go down that route, he is very knowledgeable about all things marine.

Flore

In looking at your equipment list, I don't see any real problems, but here are a few cautions.

This forum has a lot of Red Sea fans. They make a fine system, but the others your looking at are very good also. I'm not a fan of corner tanks because they present a lot of problems with lighting and filtration. They can be used and you can still have a great tank, but it will be more effort to get it just right.

I would avoid the Maxspect Gyre XF130. There have been quite a few posts on the web about them failing in a few months. Looks like a great idea but poorly executed.

The Orbit Marine PRO 4112 / 4113 is a bit of a light weight fixture. Choose something better.

Omit the Seachem PHOSGUARD 250ML, Seachem DE NITRATE 500ML and the BioPellet Reactor, NP REDUCING FILTER MINI-70-X 400L initially. These are the sort of products you should only add if your really need them. Many people don't. Also there is the question of sizing everything, sometimes a small reactor will work, other times you need something larger. Bu not getting this stuff up front, you save some money, and if you do need it, the gear is easily added later, and your not going to spend any more they you would have originally.

As for controllers, it's only worth getting one when you have all the other basic equipment up to where you want it. Do a lot of planning here. Figure out what you want to control, and how much controller you really need. It's really easy to over buy and spend way too much.

Always get top quality equipment. This does not mean most expensive. You'll only need to buy it once, and it will last.

Dave, thanks a lot.

I've seen the EHEIM tank as well, and some Chinese brand alternative, but more and more leaning towards the Reefer, almost dropped the idea of the corner tank (does hurt a little though).

I had a few more discussions with another dealer and did more research, and will update the equipment list soon. Going with a Zetlight 6600 (WDYT?), will remove the Biopellets and Filtration for the moment.

I would like to try the Gyre, if it fails after a few months hopefully the warranty will cover it. I might try and get it in Germany - 24 months warranty!

Hi Florian

Good stores

Happy Reefing

Great, I know Think Fish and BPK, had a similar feeling - I haven't been to Premier Pets yet and when I went to The Pet Store they were closed, will check them out soon.

Yesterday I went to Arowana in Deira, you know them? Very friendly, seems knowledgable, but not sure I'd trust them with Fish and Corals.

I will definitely compare prices to the UK and Europe and have things shipped from there or ask them to match prices, at least to a reasonable extent.

Flore

Hi i don't know Arowana i may need to check them out.

Their prices seem very good, for equipment definitely from what I see compared to BLK.
So, I think I'll go with the Reefer 350 black.

Updated list:

- Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-SSS 110
- Wave maker: EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD or Maxspect Gyre XF130
- Lights: Zet Light - ZS7000
- Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro / 22kg
- Sand: Red Sea Base 10kg (might mix with more grainy one)
- Heater: 2 Eheim Thermocontrol 100 (it's never less than 20C here, should be enough as backup)
- Return Pump: Eheim Compact 3000
- Chiller: Hailea 300A
- Chiller Return Pump: Eheim Compact 1000
- Carbon for start: Hailea Carbon pack
- Mechanical Filter: Produc Ceramic

Let me know what you think!

Big Pete

I have not seen the reefer series yet but from what i have read they seem very good, i have to be honest i cannot go past Ecotech marine, i now have 2 MP10's and they are awesome, i have them linked to a reeflink along with my Radions and it all works well.
Hailea are good chillers so i would recommend that.

I think you will make your way, there will be mistakes but hey how else do you learn, its easy you post on reef sanc and someone here will chime in with some excelent advice.

mtsully71

I think I'll go with the Reefer 350 black.

Excellent choice! @Mayja and @mtsully71
Mayja's is 450 and there are a few others just not sure who that have pics and equipment etc

Just something to think about, agree with @Big Pete Vortech is awesome. I use the MP40.

I assume the tank is in a AC controlled environment, might want to make sure you get a big enough one.

Also, for your return pump on that tank: this is from my thread to @FrootStick

I looked up your Eheim compact 3000 pump, it appears your pump with no head loss is at 792gph. You are right at the recommended flow rate for a 350 without taking in head loss. I would check this, you might not be returning enough water to the tank and that's why you have to keep adjusting it. I am using this Sicce syncra 4.0 951 GPH check this sheet out. http://sicceus.com/syncra_specs.html

I have 4 feet of hose, so if you do the math I am right at 792 +/- 5 GPH. This very well could be your problem. Right of the top, you and I have a difference of about 160 GPH. I would definitely look into this. If not PM @RedSeaKev and get his thoughts. I have read where Kevin was adamant about accurate return rates for the 350 system to work properly.

Good luck have fun

Sully

Flore

Excellent choice! @Mayja and @mtsully71
Mayja's is 450 and there are a few others just not sure who that have pics and equipment etc

Just something to think about, agree with @Big Pete Vortech is awesome. I use the MP40.

I assume the tank is in a AC controlled environment, might want to make sure you get a big enough one.

Also, for your return pump on that tank: this is from my thread to @FrootStick

I looked up your Eheim compact 3000 pump, it appears your pump with no head loss is at 792gph. You are right at the recommended flow rate for a 350 without taking in head loss. I would check this, you might not be returning enough water to the tank and that's why you have to keep adjusting it. I am using this Sicce syncra 4.0 951 GPH check this sheet out. http://sicceus.com/syncra_specs.html

I have 4 feet of hose, so if you do the math I am right at 792 +/- 5 GPH. This very well could be your problem. Right of the top, you and I have a difference of about 160 GPH. I would definitely look into this. If not PM @RedSeaKev and get his thoughts. I have read where Kevin was adamant about accurate return rates for the 350 system to work properly.

Good luck have fun

Sully

Thanks for the advice. Yes, AC controlled, everything in Dubai is, it was 42 C today :) Chiller and Heater will be in place though.

I am thinking about the Reef Octopus 3500 Pump now. It's adjustable and very close to the Syncra in flow rate: http://www.reefoctopus.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductsCateID=241&CateID=35&CurrCateID=239