RedSea Max E 260 - water noise and microbubbles

Alexis

Hi all
New to the forum, and coming back to reefing after 6 years.... and i was a newbie as i had to close the tanl after less than a year when we moved to australia (but now i am in australia :)

I am cycling my new E 260 withdry rock, drTims bacteria and ammonia. About 10 days in for now

I have 2 newbie questions.

First of all i have a problem with water noise. There is a noise from water falling,
a little from the surface skimmer. It decreased somewhat by increasing the water level, but i think it is a little to high as when the pumps are stopped the water comes just above the rear sump separators

then if the skimmer is on there is a lot of noise from the water flowing above the gate (i think). This is setup at its lowest

any ideas ?
what is the ideal water level

Then with the microbubbles. I read the pinned thread on this, but still want to ask as there are a lot of bubbles 10 days in and it is not settling, see picture.
I read that this would settle when the bioload increases. But is it going to be the case when i stock very slowly ?

I read somewhere that i could stop the skimmer for the time being and then just run it every other day when there are little fish. not convinced. any comments ?

thanks much

Alexis

SPR

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

I had a 260 for a few months before upgrading

The correct water level in the rear chamber should be around the level were it covers half way up the rear return hoses for the pumps at the back.

On the micro bubbles, try closing the air inlet valve, the white valve at the top of the inlet tube, and see if that stops the bubbles, and then over a period of days gradually open it back up again. It should be operated fully open but sometimes needs breaking in.

The skimmer can take a few weeks to settle so just keep on it adjusting the valve back down if it starts over skimming for example.

See if all that helps and let us know.

Alexis

Hi
thanks for the tips
the air inlet is closed - well i think it is screwed in as much as possible. did not make a difference. maybe i should just wait another few days and see what happens

ill get the water just a bit higher and get back to you on the noise

cheers

SPR

Hi
thanks for the tips
the air inlet is closed - well i think it is screwed in as much as possible. did not make a difference. maybe i should just wait another few days and see what happens

ill get the water just a bit higher and get back to you on the noise

cheers
When I say half way up the return hoses, I mean we’re the return hoses go back into the tank. They bend at 90’ and go back in, so about half way at the back of we’re they go in. Hope this makes sense!

Alexis

Hi Guys
Thanks Shaun, yes makes sense i put it there, halfway through the hose connectors
LFS advised to put some foam to break the water flow, works wonder on the noise. And the RSM rep was there. He said the bubbles sould start to settle
lets see what happens
A