HELP! Redsea 250

Jwidner88

So I've had my tank for 2 weeks. She's up and running and has a my "live sand" and a few rocks and snails and a few crabs running around. I ordered "the package" from TBS and it'll be here in a few days. This is new to me so any advice will go along way!

My first question is that I put my sand and crushed coral in, my lfs said no need to wash it so I didn't. Now every time I look at it I can cause it to get cloudy and several days later, it's crystal clear. My wife says I need to leave it alone. Unfortunately I don't listen and cause it to turn into a 65 gallon tank of milk. Any suggestions on getting the mess out?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

pablomay28

Depending on how fine the sand is it can get stirred up. The main or left side return pump is very strong and can stir the sand bed up. I recommend pointing the return nozzles up until they stop stiring the sand bed. In regards to not washing the live sand it will settle after a while. You will eventually wash that stuff out of your black sponges.

Jwidner88

I have taken them out twice now. And when I do, it starts pouring this white powder out both power heads. Should I turn them off before I clean the sponges?

pablomay28

I have taken them out twice now. And when I do, it starts pouring this white powder out both power heads. Should I turn them off before I clean the sponges?

Yes i would recommend you turn the skimmer and return pumps off to take them out and clean them. One you have cleaned them run both pumps for a while so that your rear sump water level stabilizes to a point that your skimmer will not overflow.

pablomay28

Being that you are new with the RSM 250 I recommend a few must haves to have a successful tank.
1 Get an automatic top off (ATO) this will keep your rear sump water level constant so that your skimmer can function properly.2 Get an aftermarket air valve(petsmart/petco) for the protein skimmer you will find that the stock air valve is a bit hard to set and any little movement on the knob will cause it to over flow. 3 RSM tanks run hot get a good thermometer for your tank, depending on where you live and if you have A/C you might need a chiller. Check out videos on youtube many of your questions can be answered there. Here is a link to my old RSM 250 setup with pictures how i used to do water changes, ATO, maintenance, and mods on the RSM 250.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/pablos-rsm-250.91292/

DaveK

My first question is that I put my sand and crushed coral in, my lfs said no need to wash it so I didn't. Now every time I look at it I can cause it to get cloudy and several days later, it's crystal clear. My wife says I need to leave it alone. Unfortunately I don't listen and cause it to turn into a 65 gallon tank of milk. Any suggestions on getting the mess out?

This gets us back to LFSs being clueless when it comes to SW systems. The sand should have been washed first. If you got live sand, you might not need to wash it first, but I'd still at least rinse it off in SW. It's amazing how much fine stuff gets in to sand. Yes, I know, washing sand is sometimes contrary to some directions printed on the bag.

As for what to do now. It depends on how bad this bothers you. Once the tank is really cycled, the bacteria base in the system will trap most of this. Given time, the problem should take care of itself. If you really can't stand the look when the sand gets stirred up, you can vacuum the sandbed as part of doing water changes. Only go down about 1". You may need to change a lot of water and move a lot of rock to get to all places on the sandbed.

Jwidner88

This gets us back to LFSs being clueless when it comes to SW systems. The sand should have been washed first. If you got live sand, you might not need to wash it first, but I'd still at least rinse it off in SW. It's amazing how much fine stuff gets in to sand. Yes, I know, washing sand is sometimes contrary to some directions printed on the bag.

As for what to do now. It depends on how bad this bothers you. Once the tank is really cycled, the bacteria base in the system will trap most of this. Given time, the problem should take care of itself. If you really can't stand the look when the sand gets stirred up, you can vacuum the sandbed as part of doing water changes. Only go down about 1". You may need to change a lot of water and move a lot of rock to get to all places on the sandbed.
That's kindly what I have been thinking. I get up today and the tank is as clear as a bell!

Jwidner88

Being that you are new with the RSM 250 I recommend a few must haves to have a successful tank.
1 Get an automatic top off (ATO) this will keep your rear sump water level constant so that your skimmer can function properly.2 Get an aftermarket air valve(petsmart/petco) for the protein skimmer you will find that the stock air valve is a bit hard to set and any little movement on the knob will cause it to over flow. 3 RSM tanks run hot get a good thermometer for your tank, depending on where you live and if you have A/C you might need a chiller. Check out videos on youtube many of your questions can be answered there. Here is a link to my old RSM 250 setup with pictures how i used to do water changes, ATO, maintenance, and mods on the RSM 250.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/pablos-rsm-250.91292/
Since you have experienced the rsm 250, here just a purely cosmetic question. Where'd you have your heater at. In the back or in plain view.
3de8187029ce8cf7a7213d0cd0352e62.jpg

Here's where mine sits currently. Thinking about moving it...

pablomay28

Since you have experienced the rsm 250, here just a purely cosmetic question. Where'd you have your heater at. In the back or in plain view.
3de8187029ce8cf7a7213d0cd0352e62.jpg

Here's where mine sits currently. Thinking about moving it...

I had it in the compartment next to pump #2 under the small black sponge. The black sponge has a cut-out and thats where I had the adjustment knob of the heater sticking out. Here is a link to a picture.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...r&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

Adrienne

I have the C250 and my heater is in the same compartment of the sump as the skimmer - on the left of the tank.