Red sea salt calcium way too high.

carlfike

So I bought 4 buckets of redsea salt mix and i think I'm going to end up chucking them. Everytime I mix up the water the calcium comes out at like 600-650. Tried different test kits and mixing it all up. No matter what the calcium is sky high. Anyone else seen this?

DaveK

Are you sure the SG was correct before you tested for calcium? In other words, did you let the water mix for 24 hours, and then test SG with a refractometer?

If SG if off, it will also effect the Ca reading.

carlfike

Are you sure the SG was correct before you tested for calcium? In other words, did you let the water mix for 24 hours, and then test SG with a refractometer?

If SG if off, it will also effect the Ca reading.

Yup mixed over night, refractometer used, my tank calcium the day before was 410 after a 35% water change with the red sea it was over 600. Did another water change with instant ocean and got the calcium down to 510. I'm not concerned with getting it replaced I'll prolly just mix it with the instant ocean I bought but I was wondering if they were aware of any bad batches.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Is it possible that the cause was due to settling during shipment? Did you try dumping it from one bucket to another a couple times to mix it all up? Just throwing it out there

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I know they say to roll the bucket for a but when you get it but 600 is high! The red sea guys should be able to track the lot number to see if any other issues were raised.

carlfike

I actually order salt in bulk kinda 3-6 buckets at a time and I dump it all together in a 35g brute. It was mixed well.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Don't ask Aussies what they think of this salt at the moment. One word...SEDIMENT.