Red Sea ReefLed 90 vs hydra 32

adamsfour

All,
I am looking to replace my existing lighting on my Red Sea Max S400. I presently have the hydra 26. I am debating between the new Red Sea ReefLed 90 and Hydra 32. I have not had any real issues with the 26 but from what I read there has been lots of improvement with the 32. Anybody have an opinion.

Nobbygas

I have the 26's on my S-.650 and I'm happy with them. In your situation I think I would go for the ReefLed. I would certainly look around the forums a lot to read any reviews.

adamsfour

Thanks, I too am happy with the 26 but from the early reviews of the 32 they are vastly improved. In my case one big advantage to the 32 is they have the same form factory and use the same app so changing in theory would be a breeze. But if the Red Sea is a much better product I would be willing to switch. Hence why I a looking for some opinions

DaveK

I'd say the newer Hydra 32 or the ReefLED 90 are going to be better, but not nearly enough "better" to justify replacing the Hydra 26's. Unless your having a specific issue with your lighting, such as wanting to keep extreme high light corals or clams, save your money and stick with what you have.

Don't be drawn into upgrading just because the manufactures have hyped the new model. Be assured that in a couple of years or so, they will be hyping an even "better" model, hoping you'll upgrade.

Personally, I hate to think about how many times and how much money I have spent over the years upgrading equipment and found the replacement to be only marginally better than the original. Nowadays I'm only going to upgrade if the upgrade is going to make a quantum improvement in my system.

adamsfour

Thanks, You do make a really valid point. I guess I spend too much time drinking their cool aid. Any idea what the life expectancy of Hydra 26.

Nobbygas

I'd say the newer Hydra 32 or the ReefLED 90 are going to be better, but not nearly enough "better" to justify replacing the Hydra 26's. Unless your having a specific issue with your lighting, such as wanting to keep extreme high light corals or clams, save your money and stick with what you have.

Don't be drawn into upgrading just because the manufactures have hyped the new model. Be assured that in a couple of years or so, they will be hyping an even "better" model, hoping you'll upgrade.

Personally, I hate to think about how many times and how much money I have spent over the years upgrading equipment and found the replacement to be only marginally better than the original. Nowadays I'm only going to upgrade if the upgrade is going to make a quantum improvement in my system.
Spot on Dave. I really would like to upgrade my lights, but the cost factor alone makes it a no-no. I would like to see two tanks, side by side, that have been running for three years, with one tank having Hydra's and the other having ReefLed's. Of course, that is not possible, so I'll stick with what I have and spend the money on fish and corals if I want to :)