Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 350

BlindZide

Hello Everyone! I am now starting to order my equipment for my new build. This time around, I am doing everything the right way with the right equipment. So as I go along, any recommendations would be appreciated. I do not have the tank yet, I was going to order it today. I did order other things today to make sure I have it all here before the tank arrives so I can take a weekend to set it up and not have to piece it together as it comes in.

I am getting the Red Sea Reefer Deluxe 350. Total system volume of 91 gallons (73 display/18 sump). Those of you that are not familiar with this tank, it comes with many things that probably aren't the BEST but will work. Tank comes with:
  1. Tank (Obviously)
  2. Stand
  3. Sump (18G with baffles and dual sock holder)
  4. ATO (Only 2.8 gallons. May elevate a 5 gallon bucket in chiller compartment)
  5. 2 x AI Hydra HD 26s
  6. Plumbing (Still debating hard plumbing return....any benefits?)
I currently have a 75G running but the tank is in bad shape. 2 cracks in the top brace on same side. Seams look in bad shape as well, hence the wifes approval for an upgrade. I used the "Man if those seams bust or that brace gives out, we are going to be in high water." story to get it approved. I am going to use some equipment from this tank. Those things are:

1. eShoppes PSK-100 Skimmer
  2. Jebao DCT 6000 Return Pump
  3. 2 Jebao PP-8s
With what is listed above there are a few things missing that are needed and some things I am ordering just to make sure I have no issues with the new tank. Going to treat it like you would a new car! Here is what I ordered today:

1. BRS Dual Reactors for GFO and Carbon with MJ1200 Pump (Will not be ran in-line. Planning to mount it on sump with input in overflow and output in skimmer chamber. )
  2. BRS GFO 1/4 Gallon
  3. BRS ROV .8 Carbon 1/4 Gallon
  4. Finnex HMA-S 200W Heater
  5. 50lbs Dry Rock from Billys Reef Connection
I do not see the use of Biopellets. My current tank has had no detectable Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates and I plan to keep it that way. Running the reactors to prevent an issue from forming, not to fix a current issue. Better safe than sorry I guess. As things arrive I will begin posting pictures and progress. Hope to have this up and cycling before my trip to Tennessee for our 10th wedding anniversary in October.

Any questions/advice please let me know! Thanks!

DaveK

What your planning generally seems ok. Don't worry about trying to get the equipment selection perfect. Just get it to the point where everything is decent. You can always go back and upgrade later.

From experience, I can tell you that even if you had a more or less unlimited budget for the system, and could get anything you wanted, a few days after you bought it all you would find something slightly "better".

BlindZide

I agree. I'm just trying to make sure I don't forget anything. I usually do not keep a large stock in my tank. Mostly corals.

DaveK

You might as well figure you forgot something, but as long as it's not critical you can set up the tank. With what you can get on the net, and how fast you can get it, it's not too hard to fill in that missing piece.

BlindZide

That is true. Amazon same day delivery FTW! I'm just super anxious to get this thing going. Finally a clean looking setup!

BlindZide

Side note, I might add an ATO for my Ro/Di. Forgot to turn it off the other day when I left for the fair....water everywhere!

Pat24601

Side note, I might add an ATO for my Ro/Di. Forgot to turn it off the other day when I left for the fair....water everywhere!

Yeah, definitely some type of a stop plan. Whether that's an auto switch or a nearby drain it drains into if it flows over. I guarantee you'll forget it. I probably forget I have mine on like 25% of the time.

My wife is pretty good about telling me I forgot to turn it off...but let's just say that's an alarm system with a less than desirable side effect. :)

Pat24601

That is true. Amazon same day delivery FTW! I'm just super anxious to get this thing going. Finally a clean looking setup!

You look good to go to me. I'm 90% sure there will be something you want that you haven't thought of after you set it up, but that's just the way it goes. Someone has to buy from Amazon and keep the economy moving!