HELP! Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit

COMMANDO

Hi All

My tank is on day 4 of cycling and I am using the RS Reef Mature Kit, as well as the RS Marine Care Test Kit. I have been following the instruction and yesterday (Day 3) my parameters were as follows:
Temp 26.2'C
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Kh 8.5
Ammonia around 0.6-0.8
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 10

Here is my query: I decided to use two thirds 'man-made', eco-friendly dry base rock, and one third Caribsea dry base rock instead of wet live rock. This was also recommended to me by my LFS and is popular with their clients. They also use same in their display tanks. I also used 20kg of Red Sea live sand (pink) in the display in lieu of not using wet live rock.

The parameters for where I am in the cycle do not seem too far off from what is stated in the kit, but I have yet to see any sign of algae in the tank (which according to the kit should be starting today or tomorrow). I am not sure then whether I should be adding the CUC next week Monday (as per Day 10 instructions) if there has not been a lot of algae growth by then. I assume that the lack of live rock and the use of dry rock has slowed the cycle as per the kit.
I would really appreciate your input on this.

Thanks, Lando.

DaveK

Just give it time. Don't rush things. If your ammonia and nitrite readings are not 0, don't add the cleanup crew or anything else. If this doesn't follow the exact day to day schedule of the Red Sea products, don't worry about it. Just give it more time.

Keep in mind that every reef system is different and these are living systems. Don't expect that everything is going to run on an exact schedule.

COMMANDO

Just give it time. Don't rush things. If your ammonia and nitrite readings are not 0, don't add the cleanup crew or anything else. If this doesn't follow the exact day to day schedule of the Red Sea products, don't worry about it. Just give it more time.

Keep in mind that every reef system is different and these are living systems. Don't expect that everything is going to run on an exact schedule.

Thanks for the input. I am in no rush at all... I live so far away from my LFS so there is no temptation (over 3hrs drive). Just concerned as to how strict I must be when following the Red Sea schedule.

Update on parameters for Day 5 (testing not required per RS kit for today, but taken anyway):
Temp 26.3'C
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Happy with the zero ammonia and nitrites for today.

My main concern is the adding of the CUC on Day 10 if I have not yet had any algae growth by then - really just about whether they will have food to eat (although I guess I could just supplement if there is no algae, etc.).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you add the cuc while you have ammonia (highly toxic), there will be something for the ones that survive to eat, the other dead snails... :p

once the cycle completes... even if you don't see algae, there will be enough food you won't have to supplement. the algae will come...

normally here what you want so see... while cycling:
Start testing and watching... the Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank Cycled

CyclingGraph.gif

DaveK

... My main concern is the adding of the CUC on Day 10 if I have not yet had any algae growth by then - really just about whether they will have food to eat (although I guess I could just supplement if there is no algae, etc.).

Your really worrying way too much about all this. In areas like this, things have a way of working out. Don't panic.

COMMANDO

Thanks for the advice guys. Just seems that either my tank has cycled very quickly, or it is going to enter a second cycle. My ammonia was 0.8 and nitrite 0.1 on day 3/4, both are now on zero and it is only day 5/6. Nitrates were 10 on day 3 and are now 20. The numbers are almost exactly as what the Red Sea kit has said, the only difference being the lack of algae bloom and diatoms. Red Sea Kev has confirmed that this is due to the use of dry rock, but that it would come in time. I will stick to the Red Sea regime and add the CUC next week if my ammonia and nitrite are still on zero.

Mathew Piccioni

Commando, I am having the exact same challenge it seems. I also used dry rock for my cycle. I was wondering if you recall when you ended up adding your CUC. My numbers seems in check exactly with Red Sea. I as well do not show any beginnings of algae buildup at all in the tank. Just dont know if I should add in the CUC at day 10 as specified or not.