Red Sea Nitrate teste kit

Acanman

Hey guys. I got one of these but im not entirely confident I used it correctly. After going thru the steps The test water came up clear. According to color chart I guessed this meant my nitrate level was above 4ppm and I need to start over with a diluted sample. Does this sound right?

The second go round with diluted sample gave alight blue color which would equal a nitrate level of around 4ppm. Id feel a lot better if I could get some confirmation I did this correctly. Thanks!

Choff

It shouldn't be clear. 0 is the lightest blue.
Fyi when you are using the spinning thing, once you match the color look on the other side of the wheel and you will notice a pointer. That is your number, not the numbers that are next to the color you matched up against.

Only took me 3x to figure that out. :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Acanman

The color chart had a color box that was clear and if thats the case then u dilute new sample and start over. Am i misunderstanding this?

Choff

On the wheel? I'll check when I get home, but I don't think I have clear on the wheel.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Choff

I think you might be mixing up the high range test. I'll take a look, it's been awhile since I read the instructions

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Acanman

A63C0D7C-713E-49BC-AF7A-594082EF6D64-22999-00000A2137CEB7D8.jpg

This is the blank

Acanman

I appreciate the input about the API. I have API but its too vague for me. If its yellow you have zero nitrate? I got zero from API but a 4ppm with red sea.

jeffrey

I appreciate the input about the API. I have API but its too vague for me. If its yellow you have zero nitrate? I got zero from API but a 4ppm with red sea.

I've used the Red Sea test kit for months and always got different readings. I too believe that the API test is vague but when I use the test is it shows zero and I'm running carbon in a reactor I never have any issues. I do weekly 10% water changes and make sure not to over feed and all is well.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hey guys. I got one of these but im not entirely confident I used it correctly. After going thru the steps The test water came up clear. According to color chart I guessed this meant my nitrate level was above 4ppm and I need to start over with a diluted sample. Does this sound right?

The second go round with diluted sample gave alight blue color which would equal a nitrate level of around 4ppm. Id feel a lot better if I could get some confirmation I did this correctly. Thanks!

Hi Acaman, a clear test can indicate a zero reading, what is very important is the shaking of reagent A, once you have performed the test is there any indication of residual in the vial ? this is a good indication that reagent A has been shaken and the test has worked correctly.

Also the fact you are looking at a blue color after performing a high range test is a good indication that there is not a high Nitrate reading and confirms your first test result of zero.

Zero Nitrate however based on our Reef Care research is not good check out our Reef Care Videos which will give you an in-depth explanation of why Nitrate is important Red Sea Reef Care - Algae Management Program (episode 3/5) HD - YouTube

Acanman

Thanks Kev for chipping in! Its a very well stocked sps and softy 250 with 5 small fish. Feed every other day. I have read 50/50 opinions about zero nitrates, half say great, half say bad. I can say ive been battling a mysterious bleaching of sps corals that begin at the base and creep its way upwards which is what has prompted me to become a an obsessed water tester. Ca and Kh perfect. Mg high above 1500. Phosphates 0.15.

Thanks for the video too! I might try put that dosing strategy

Choff

Hrm, maybe I have doing the high range test all this time based on what Kev said. I didn't get a chance to look last night, but tonight is WC night so I will for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Thanks Kev for chipping in! Its a very well stocked sps and softy 250 with 5 small fish. Feed every other day. I have read 50/50 opinions about zero nitrates, half say great, half say bad. I can say ive been battling a mysterious bleaching of sps corals that begin at the base and creep its way upwards which is what has prompted me to become a an obsessed water tester. Ca and Kh perfect. Mg high above 1500. Phosphates 0.15.

Hi Acanman, your welcome, I think in fairness over the years a lot of test kits would in fact give a nil or zero reading as they simply could not measure to a low enough resolution.

One thing for thought and discussion, take a look at any of the many scientific papers available regarding the No3 content of the worlds oceans and seas, look at No3 content, this is where they have used the best laboratory state of the art technology available which us aquarists can only dream of using, you will always find No3 present at extremely low level.

The reason I suggest this is simple, the current high sensitivity No3 test kits like our Pro No3 test can actually measure very low levels, you say your alkalinity is perfect, what I will say is this, if you have a high alkalinity ( over 9) and low No3 ( Lower than 0.25ppm) you will most definitely be stressing SPS, probably due to starvation due to lack of Symbiotic Zooxanthellae Algae , these Algae feed on the No3 that is present, if you have no No3 the Algae dies off and the net result is bleaching, ionic balance is another possible reason for SPS bleaching, there is a balance between Alkalinity ( Carbonate) Calcium and Magnesium this theory is explained in one of our Reef Care videos Red Sea Reef Care - Reef Foundation Program (episode 2/5) HD - YouTube

Acanman

My Alk is 9.5. Cal 450. Mg 1550. Phos 0.15. I dose with autodoser four times daily using B-ionic. The high coral load sucks up lots of ca and alk solution. So how do i get nitrates up? That red sea nitrate/phos dosing soltuion seems to target the lowering of nitrates.

So do i need to feed more? I feed fish one cube mysis shrimp (rinsed) every 2 days. I dose the tank every 2 days Dr.Gs phytoplankton and oyster feast. Once a week i feed frozen cyclopeeds. I dont do a whole lot of target feeding cuz different corals open up for feeding at different times of day---mostly midnight hours when the moonlights are on.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
My Alk is 9.5. Cal 450. Mg 1550. Phos 0.15. I dose with autodoser four times daily using B-ionic. The high coral load sucks up lots of ca and alk solution. So how do i get nitrates up? That red sea nitrate/phos dosing soltuion seems to target the lowering of nitrates. So do i need to feed more?

Hi Acanman, yes this can be a tricky one, it is a fine balance to maintain a sync between No3 & Po4.

Are you currently using any absorbers for removing No3 or running a refugium that can remove large amounts of No3, it could be as simple as cutting back the Macro Algae, increased feeding is another way for sure of increasing No3 or even increasing fish stocks which will also increase the bio-load increasing No3, Ozone if being used can be reduced, yes our No3Po4-X is designed to control No3 and Po4 levels unlike a lot of products that simply remove or eliminate these Algae nutrients they are both important parts of the nutritional needs of Corals.

Based on your what we call Foundation levels (Alk, Calc & Mag) I would suggest an No3 level of 1 to 2 ppm and Po4 of 0.08, if you continue to struggle to increase your No3 level I would suggest allowing your Foundation levels to reduce, Alkalinity down to 8.3 Calcium down to 430 ppm and Magnesium 1310 assuming you have a salinity of 35ppt, the optimum No3 & Po4 levels would then be 0.25ppm No3 & 0.02ppm Po4.

What I would recommend whilst you are seeing some stripping is to ensure your Corals are getting suitable nutrition and this is where our Reef Energy would be ideal.

Acanman

Salinity steady at 0.026. I have the rsm250. I used 2 bags of chemipure elite, one 100ml bag of purigen, and a nano CAD reactor with phosban in rear chamber.

I have a pretty large cleanup crew i collected over last 2 months from reefcleaners.org. But most have died off I think.

Maybe adding another fish maybe good idea.
I cant thank you enough Kev thanks!

Choff

Acan, thanks for opening this up and Kev for the awesome response. Very informative. A lot of good info in there.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Acanman

Topic is only as good as its participants:). Whats crazy is I thought I had a high nitrate read. Now its probable that its too low and my tank is starving???just when I think im not a noob anymore, i find I very much still am :)