Red Sea max Protein Skimmer issue - air intake

adamsfour

Hello,
I have two 130 RSM. One of the biggest maintenance issues I have is with the air intake for the Protein skimmer. Every few weeks I have to remove the skimmer and clean out the air intake as it is blocked with dried salt. This works about 3 or 4 times and finally the I have to replace the air intake (remove it from an replacement motor) as the process of cleaning out has enlarged the hole. As I have not been able to purchase just the air intake it gets expensive to buy the pump. Anyone have fix that is more permanent or a way to prevent the salt creep in the first place

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have to assume I am not the only one who has this problem.

I have not read any post in the club with this problem, nor have I experienced it... maybe other can advise.

If it helps any... as maintenance on my skimmer pump on the 130D, I did find the orifices over a time period of about 6 months to a year narrowed with calcium build up, I would use an eyeglass screwdriver to route it out & it would greatly improve the skimming & bubbles. On the airline & pump in general, I pulled mine about every 3 months, took them to the sink & cleaned with hot running tap water & cleaning the impeller & inside of the pumps with a q-tip - I would also run hot water down the air line.

Question, do you have the airline, going down into the electrical compartment? If not, might give this a go & see if it helps, it also quiets it a bit.

hope something here helps... if not consider this another... :bump:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I ran mine for over 2 years and never encountered this problem (of having to replace it). It does get caked up with calcium and I just soaked all the parts in a mild vinegar & water solution for an hour or so and then rinse with hot tap water. After the vinegar bath everything just washes right away.

As Glenn suggested running the intake from your electrical chamber helps and adding a "Pill Bottle Silencer" REALLY helps a lot.

adamsfour

Thanks for the reply. Yes the airline is going into the electrical compartment. The problem you desribed is exactly what going on with my skimmer. I figured it was salt not calcium. Also, what you describe is what I do to get it to work again. The problem is each time your clean out the orficie it widens and after a few times it loose its efficency. In my case it getting clogged every few weeks as mentioned.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Something I've done in other situations (not skimmer intake but still same principle) is this..

Take a new/clean inlet and find a drill bit that is the exact size of the clean opening (maybe a tiny hair smaller). Next time you see it's clogged use the bit to clean the whole out. Over time this might cause some wear but it shouldn't enlarge the hole so long as you're careful. Because it's the same size (or slightly smaller) than the factory hole it shouldn't "ream" out the inlet.

I think soaking and cleaning is by far the best solution but if it's really clogged the drill bit method may be your best option. Go slow . . .

mathewbristow

I have the same problem with my130d it happens every 2-3 months and has done for the past 3 years or so I use the drill bit method and works great I've never had to replace the intake you don't even need to use a drill just screw the drill bit in with your fingers. it would be nice to eliminate the problem but isn't too much hastle to clean it out every few months.