Red Sea Max LED Conversions

Acanman

I have to go back and look at the name of the mfg. but its a nifty little device that you pair with the steveled, or any dyi led kit. Its a controller. Only costs like $50. Timer,dimmer, su rise, sunset. I cant recall the name of websit. PM bigAl he will know

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm not sure about the monster controller but you might be thinking about the Typhon controller from BoostLED which is all those things you mentioned and it has 4? channels off the top of my head and it retails for just over $50 ($53 off the top of my head again lol)

The controller interface isn't a controller either it's more of a power modulator that you need with certain controllers so that the right signal output gets to the LEDs

I've just bought a StevesLED kit for my RSM 130D and a typhon controller which I should be setting up this week if my tank comes in hopefully, I'll be creating an install thread and try and find out what the differences are so it can be used to help those with an RSM250 who want to install a Steve's kit but I'll keep everyone posted :dance:

Last edited:

Acanman

I have to go back and look at the name of the mfg. but its a nifty little device that you pair with the steveled, or any dyi led kit. Its a controller. Only costs like $50. Timer,dimmer, su rise, sunset. I cant recall the name of websit. PM bigAl he will know

jimv

I have been wanting to upgrade my lights for a while and after doing a lot of research I finally made the move. I pieced together a design based on other builds I have seen on the internet. I wanted to keep the install clean and to have the ability to revert back to the stock lighting if needed. I also wanted a dimmable fixture so I could adjust the color and potentially set up a sunrise/sunset schedule.

This is what I ended up with:

27 Cree LED's. 9 neutral white and 18 royal blue.
Makers driver
Makers controller
16" heat sink
48v power supply

I needed to drill 4 holes to mount the heat sink.
20130531_153558_zps94834fd2.jpg

I opened up the case.
IMG_1470_zps4b69f567.jpg

And removed the ballast.
IMG_1474_zpsa7909dc2.jpg

Using thermal adhesive I attached the LED's to the heat sink. And then wired them in two arrays.
IMG_1475_zps5d2ec095.jpg

I installed the heat sink back into the hood.
IMG_1478_zpsd230058a.jpg

And then wired up the driver and power supply. I ended up mounting these inside the cabinet.
IMG_1479_zpsd2484e15.jpg

I plugged in the power supply and we have light.
IMG_1476_zps1385473e.jpg

Here is the tank with 50% light. I have read about a lot of people bleaching their coral so I am going to move up the light intensity slowly.
IMG_1483_zpscdc20ac4.jpg

Wiring up the controller to the makers driver was easy. It just has a headphone style interface that connects the two. I programmed it for sunrise, sunset and to follow the lunar cycle. It is also capable of cloud cover and a noon peak. Over all I am satisfied with the way it turned out. Now hopefully my coral like the upgrade.

20130609_085142_zpsff506ea3.jpg

The entire project cost me less than $300.