Red Sea Max 250 leaking

Tri

I have always wanted a reef tank and finally took the plunge a purchase a tank. I purchase a used Red Sea Max 250 last weekend. The previous owner told me it is a 2013 model and I inspect the tank (with water half filled) and did not see any leaks. I am still cleaning it the tank but have notice that it is leaking a bit at the right bottom corner where the power supply is. The 3 small little hole below the power supply accumulates water droplets. It is not significant but it is still alarming. I am still in the processing of cleaning it, but i am debating what i should do about it. Should I put some silicone in that area or reseal the whole tank? This is my first saltwater aquarium ever and trying to do everything really slow but right. Does anyone else experience a little leakage in the area? Any advice on how to resolve the issue?

Oxylebius

Uh-O! o_O

I wouldn't risk moving forward with it leaking. I'd try to fix it. Do you know for sure that it is the seal that is leaking?

I am not a FYI person and so I would seek professional help w/resealing the tank.

But, there are many on this forum, who I'm sure, would walk you through the sealing process....

Tri

Uh-O! o_O

I wouldn't risk moving forward with it leaking. I'd try to fix it. Do you know for sure that it is the seal that is leaking?

I am not a FYI person and so I would seek professional help w/resealing the tank.

But, there are many on this forum, who I'm sure, would walk you through the sealing process....

I am not a hundred sure. But I am suspecting that is seal between the main tank and the compartment where the power supply is stored. I have wiped the area down and when i ran my fingers around that area and the inside of the bottom frame it is wet.

Steve Lane

If you get some suitable silicone you can get a little on your finger and apply it to the area inside the tank, even underwater. The 1st time I filled my old 150 gallon the same day it started leaking about halfway up the front corner. Not wanting to empty the thing as it was now filled with all my stock from the previous tank, that`s exactly what I did. That aquarium ran with no problems for years after.

dgilbert2

:rbwwelc:I hope you get your leak sorted out soon. Will certainly need to empty and let it dry out and then apply silicon sealant to the suspected area.

Skylar

I have always wanted a reef tank and finally took the plunge a purchase a tank. I purchase a used Red Sea Max 250 last weekend. The previous owner told me it is a 2013 model and I inspect the tank (with water half filled) and did not see any leaks. I am still cleaning it the tank but have notice that it is leaking a bit at the right bottom corner where the power supply is. The 3 small little hole below the power supply accumulates water droplets. It is not significant but it is still alarming. I am still in the processing of cleaning it, but i am debating what i should do about it. Should I put some silicone in that area or reseal the whole tank? This is my first saltwater aquarium ever and trying to do everything really slow but right. Does anyone else experience a little leakage in the area? Any advice on how to resolve the issue?
I know this thread is old, but I have exactly the same problem with my RSM 250 right now. Can you tell me what the issue was in your case?