Red Sea Max 130/D Pump Upgrade Kit Flow Question/Observation

wizardofyaz

Hello,

I have installed the upgrade kit in my RSM but the churn in the water seems to be decreased from the stock pumps. The eheim pumps were both set to max output. Has anyone else noticed this? Does extra flow not necessarily mean more water disturbance? I was almost expecting to see things whipping around in the tank but it seems calm.

Thanks,

Nick

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nick - the stock circulation pumps are 145 gph, where the eheim are 160 - I don't have this up grade... but this is a very small increase less than 10%

by contrast... think of a Vortech MP 10 1575 gph... you need these numbers to get things whipping around ;)

hope this helps...

See what others say that add this mod... I think is was meant to lower the pumps more than increase flow, to help with microbubbles when the water level drops...

Konyak

I haven't done the pump mod, but as Glenn points out, the gph is very similar, add to that that the Eheims are pumping through longer plumbing that ends in a sharp 90°corner. That will bring down the gph as well. I second Glenn's statment that the benefits of this mod aren't in the flow department.

wizardofyaz

Yeah that bend and the longer hose will cut down the force, but its better than the water level dropping a little and having bubbles in the tank. Thanks for the replies!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I didn't "see" any increase over the new stock pumps but I did "see" an increase over my "needing to be replaced" stock/factory pumps.

It's the new design for the intake/pickup that really decided it for me. There's not enough difference in flow to even really be a factor.

Crosby

Hello all,
I'm considering this upgrade but have read that the power cords are not long enough to correctly reach with RSM power box (without doing some modification).
Does anyone have insight into this, I'd prefer to keep using the standard power box and on/off switches.
Thanks in advance.

cbuttiker

Hello all,
I'm considering this upgrade but have read that the power cords are not long enough to correctly reach with RSM power box (without doing some modification).
Does anyone have insight into this, I'd prefer to keep using the standard power box and on/off switches.
Thanks in advance.

I just made this change and the power cords do reach the RSM power box. But... they won't fit in the channel as they are much thicker than the usual cords. I just run mine along the top and around the skimmer cup but they are still covered and not visible with the hood in place.
I made the change for the microbubbles and it has worked so far.

ausreef

if you fitted eheim compact 600's the flow is slightly down on the standard pumps,also if you have elbows on the hoses get rid of them,lay the pumps on their backs and run a curved hose to the locline fittings

nikolav

Hi, all!
I just have my RSM13D for a couple of days. Still only water and salt inside :)
If the only good thing about this upgrade is avoiding the microbubbles when the water level drops down, can't we just extend with a couple of centimeters the intake pipes of the stock pumps? Which I already did?
Or em I missing something?

Matt spivey

I agree with Nikolav, you could just add a bit of pipe on the bottom of the intake pipes. This was the next thing I was going to do and then maybe put rubber bands or something around the pumps to hold the bottom bit on as it doesn't fall off all the time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

on a 130D the surface skimmer cup, raise it up almost to the very top, then add sw to almost touching the "hood arm trays" and you will solve microbubbles & cause your skimmer to work better - hope this helps - this is the key for a RSM model 130D

NHJMC

I just installed the upgrade return/circulation pump and I think it’s got way too much flow wish there was a way to turn it down a tad.