red sea additives

TROY STONE

Hi I have just done a Alkalinity test with the red sea kit and it says i need to add 31ml per 100litres of additive to raise it to the correct parameter. My problem is how much to I add as I have a Max s 400 which has a volume of 350litres. Also with the recommended daily increase of 0.5 meq(1.4dkh) what is the amount I need to add?

DaveK

What were the actual test reading you got?

Here is the thing about additives. If the livestock is doing well and your readings are within normal ranges, don't mess with anything. About the worst mistake you can make is try to chase numbers.

Often, especially on new tanks, you can maintain levels by just doing water changes.

If you still want to use them, I will tell you that it is not possible for anyone here to tell you how much to add. This is because we do not know how much water is displaced by your rocks, sand and other items you added to the system. This can represent quite a bit of water, sometimes 1/3 the tank volume.

SPR

Also in addition to above readings etc, are you using the Red Sea Reef Foundation liquid ready made , or stock solutions made from the powders or something else ? If the liquid in the bottle (Reef Foundation B) it says 1ml will raise alkalinity of 100 litres by 0.1 dKH?

As DaveK says you need to 'estimate' the actual water volume in the whole system (excluding RO tank in back) taking into account displacement and I would always air on the cautious side to start with. When I started dosing I went quite a lot under just to be on the safe side and then as you get the feel of everything you can start fine tuning.

On mine I measured how much water I put in when I filled it at 573 litres (rocks and sand etc in) so I started dosing using 500 litres as the start point.

TROY STONE

Thanks guys in relation to my readings the tank is currently has a reading of 9dKH so according to the bottle which is liquid form I need to add 31ml per 100ltr to get it up to 12 as i have LPS corals.
So following that , I worked out I would need to add 108ml of additive and as the recommended daily increase of dKH in a tank should be 1.4dKH then I worked out I should add 15ml each day for 7 days.

SPR

My maths is bad (disclaimer!)but to increase by 3dKH which I think is what your doing, would it not be 30ml x 3.5= 105ml. Small difference but...

Personally I would go way under that to start with anyway and then test again in a day or so and then re add some more if need be. Just go slowly as it's much easier to add more than have to do water changes to bring it down.

Once stable you need to find the daily usage and there are various ways but I brought levels to optimum, then tested after 4-5 days and then you work out daily usage. I then topped back up to optimum levels and then in addition started auto dosing the daily top ups. Over a few weeks you then fine tune

I was running the Accelerated Growth parameters for 6 months or so and they work but I'm dropping back to more 'normal' levels now so I've stopped dosing certain parameters for a week or so.

Also just remember that if your using something like Red Sea Coral Pro, or other good salt brands these also contain the foundation elements so when you do a water change you will be adding more as well. In fact you may find that you won't need to dose anything apart from minor corrections if you use these.

Witfull

One of the worst things to do is over play with a tank. Take it slow. Corals do not like sudden change, even for the better. I may not have had a reef in some time, but one thing will always remain a rule. Keep your hands out. Some of the best tanks are the ones that the least is done to them.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's communicator