rear right sump keep empying

Fish Fingers

Hi guys,
I have had my new 250 running for 4 weeks, all is well but the rear right sump keeps emptying, am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't have this tank but am familiar with the "overall design" of it. One of the rear chambers is where evaporation etc is "displayed". If you're not topping the tank off daily then evaporation will cause the total tank level to go down and this fluctuation takes place in one specific area. If it were a tank with a sump below then the evaporation would be taking place in the sump but since it's not this will show in one chamber.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also as neildradford what are you running in the media area? Any "restrictions" in the system will also be "displayed" in one specific chamber along with a possible "over fill" in the main display tank.

neildradford

PREMIUM
It's entirely possible I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that evaporation shows in the left chamber. This is where you would usually put your auto top up sensor, roughly where the heater sits. The right chamber usually has a lower water level than the left as the water has to 'work' harder to get through the carbon etc. If the flow is blocked/reduced in the right area then the pump could be working quicker than the water can refill the chamber.

Im happy to be corrected.

Roy Page

It's entirely possible I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that evaporation shows in the left chamber. This is where you would usually put your auto top up sensor, roughly where the heater sits. The right chamber usually has a lower water level than the left as the water has to 'work' harder to get through the carbon etc. If the flow is blocked/reduced in the right area then the pump could be working quicker than the water can refill the chamber.

Im happy to be corrected.
I concur with Neil.

My C-250 eats a gallon of RO/DI water every day.
Have a 5 gall reservoir working with the Tunze 3155 ATO.
Your skimmer will not be efficient if you allow the water level in the rear chamber to fluctuate.

Roy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

without a chiller you will need to top-off about 5 gallons a week +1 ^

and +1 ^ check for media flow restrictions & that all your pumps are working & on