re-doing aqua scape in established tank?

Tigersref

I've been looking at my 36g bow front recently and have been thinking about re-doing the aquascape. The thing is that this is a 3 yr old tank with live corals in it.

so i gotta ask: good idea or bad idea.

am i about to kill everything in the tank if i move stuff around?

I am not thinking about introducing or removing rock, i just want to move things around.

are there any caveats? are there any suggestions?

thanks!

Bert

Coraljunkie

Shouldn't be a problem, I was told a long time ago not to flip rocks upside-down, something about organisms that live on the under side of the rocks can die off causing a small cycle

DaveK

You can do this. It's really not too hard, but I can be a lot of physical work, sinceyou will often move all that live rock around.

While your at it, this is a good time to vacuum the sandbed and much out the tank a bit.

The very most important thing to do is to have a aquascape plan in mind. You need not follow it 100%, but it will save you uprooting the tank multiple times.

Consider all possible options, even if one plan isn't quite what your looking for. You might get some ideas. When your all done, you want the aquascape to be something more than a pile of rocks. Also look into internal structures that can be used to support the rock. Sections od plastic pipe come to mind, so does eggcrate.

rostervandross

I had a lot of experience moving my rocks around; when I was first setting up my tank I would buy a new rock every so often and fit it in. it probably drove the fish slightly wild but as I made improvements on the arrangement it would make more nooks and caves for each fish to stake it's own claim.

One thing I noticed though, is that when my rocks settled into place and I stopped moving them, my coral frags did a lot better. I think corals like to adjust to a particular place and stay there. So it's not necessarily good to do all the time but theres not a real hidden danger to it