RATE MY NEW TANK!

Wet Nerd

hGfatPx,DJfshNc,xuGrgXa
Hello! This is my tank so far. I have a 29 gallon biocube. I currently have 2 fire shrimp (I think they're mated :O) One emerald crab (I got a friendly one! Woo!) A pair of ocellaris clowns, one fire goby, and a mature dragon face pipefish. I only have 16 pounds of super porous live rock, but my nitrates are quite low and i have a semi deep live sandbed. I just wanted to ask how the rock scape looks. This is my first tank, but tell it like it is, i want to make it look cool before i add softies. Thanks! Oh, also if the img doesnt work here are the pics http://imgur.com/hGfatPx,DJfshNc,xuGrgXa

DaveK

Since the photo seems to show just the fire shrimp, it's not possible to comment on your rock scape.

From your description I would recommend the following -

Increase the amount of live rock to about 1 pound per gallon. This is about the minimum needed long term. Dry base rock could be used. It will become live rock in time.

Return the dragon face pipefish to your LFS. This is a very difficult fish to maintain due to it's feeding requirements.

You don't tell us ho deep your sandbed is, but go with something that is an inch or less or 4 inches or more. In a smaller tank, like you have, I think 1 inch or less is the way to go.

Wet Nerd

Since the photo seems to show just the fire shrimp, it's not possible to comment on your rock scape.

Increase the amount of live rock to about 1 pound per gallon. This is about the minimum needed long term. Dry base rock could be used. It will become live rock in time.

Return the dragon face pipefish to your LFS. This is a very difficult fish to maintain due to it's feeding requirements.

You don't tell us ho deep your sandbed is, but go with something that is an inch or less or 4 inches or more. In a smaller tank, like you have, I think 1 inch or less is the way to go.
Thanks for the reply! My tank is teeming with pods, my pipefish has been in there for a 1.5 months and is going strong. The rock is super porous so i think it's okay with just 4 fish. If you scroll down, you can see more than the shrimp, it's a picture album online :).

Wet Nerd

It would be awesome if you could review the rock scape!

SubRosa

Thanks for the reply! My tank is teeming with pods, my pipefish has been in there for a 1.5 months and is going strong. The rock is super porous so i think it's okay with just 4 fish. If you scroll down, you can see more than the shrimp, it's a picture album online :).
1.5 months is nothing. You need to think 1.5 years into the future. If you do that, you'll see your Pipefish's future isn't very bright.

Wet Nerd

1.5 months is nothing. You need to think 1.5 years into the future. If you do that, you'll see your Pipefish's future isn't very bright.
Hmm. So you think it will starve? I would think if it didn't starve yet, the copepods are reproducing faster than they are being eaten. I'm considering returning it... Also, could i do 5 fish for the tank?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it helps...

Liveaquaria carry several Pipefish... they rate them as... Care Level: Expert Only

We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only." This species is recommended only for the expert aquarist, zoo, or research institution.

From all the post I have read on RS, it's very very hard to have them live even a year. There are exceptions, but even supplementing pods, most don't make it a year.

See what others advise... they are beautiful fish & very cool ! I would love to have some, but I won't try "Expert Only" fish

Wet Nerd

If it helps...

Liveaquaria carry several Pipefish... they rate them as... Care Level: Expert Only

We guarantee that ALL aquaria species we offer will arrive alive and in good condition. However, because of the increased level of care required for this particular species, it has been designated as "Expert Only." This species is recommended only for the expert aquarist, zoo, or research institution.

From all the post I have read on RS, it's very very hard to have them live even a year. There are exceptions, but even supplementing pods, most don't make it a year.

See what others advise... they are beautiful fish & very cool ! I would love to have some, but I won't try "Expert Only" fish
Hmm. I get what you're saying, but i don't see why it will do any better at the pet shop. I can't return it to its natural habitat. I see no point in returning it. I'm just going to take care of him as much as a I can and not get another one.

DaveK

Ok, I see your rockwork now. That is actually well done, except for the total amount of rock.

Here is the thing, You need about a 50 gal tank with a full amount of live rock to produce enough pods for a pipefish. Luckily you don't have any fish that will directly compete for pods with your pipefish.

Another way to do this is set up a baby brine shrimp feeder, similar to what Paul B has on his reef. This does mean you need to hatch out baby brine shrimp, setting up a hatching about every day.

You can also try frozen foods like blood worms. Sometimes you get a fish that will take them, but this isn't too likely.

If you can't meet the feeding requirements, and don't want to return the fish, sell, trade or give it away to someone that can.