Questions about changing from HOB filter to a Sump

hardtimes

I have a tank that I have set up back in Nov. 09. I am currently running the equipment below.

40gal Column tank, 18" square x 30" +or- tall
30lbs live sand, 3-4" base
45lbs of live rock
Penguin Bio Wheel power filter 200gph (rated for 50gal tank) HOB
SeaClone Protein skimmer 150 (rated for 150gal tank) HOB
Koralia fan
Coralife Aqualight HO T5 48 watt total
heater

Live stock is as follows
2 Yellowtails Damesel
1 Three Stripe Damesel
4 Mushroom colonies
2 Zoo colony
1 Frogspawn colony

I would like to build/buy a sump for this tank. I would need a sump that would fit in to the bottom of my 18x18 stand. I am new to this. What all would I need for a sump? How does the sump work as far as filtering? What keeps them from overflowing? I would like to move my skimmer and heater into the sump aswell.

I have been looking at some of sumps I can buy. Should I get one that takes Bio Balls or carbon?

Thanks for the advice,
Ray

hardtimes

Re: Questions about a Sump

After doing a little research and talking to me LFS I have learned that the sump has no filtration other than the sock.

If I were to buy a Eshopps Reef Sump would I use the sponge filter pad or remove it?

I was also looking at the Mag Drive MD5 pump and a Eshopps Overflow box PF-800. Am I correct to assume that my over flow should flow more than my pump?

r2d2

Hi, Adding a sump always is a good idea in terms of water volume added, aeration and hidden things place.
MEchanical filtration is not always used. My last tank had a sump and run both options, sock and no sock... more or less same results in tank, although more cleaning tasks with sock because you have to change it every other day if not every day.
I guess same thing with sponge you mention, you will have to clean it once a week at minimum.
About your overflow-pump match, you are right, your overflow must exceed your pumps water flow@height.

Greetings