HELP! Question on lighting

Sericinda

Hey folks. New member here. Woke up this morning with a giant crack in my Biocube and half my reef on the floor.

Panicked, moved everything into a 20 long and ordered a red sea max 130c on amazon with overnight shipping.

Yeah was a fabulous day :/

Anyhow my question is this. I mostly keep pretty easy corals. Zoas, mushrooms, a large toadstool, anemone, etc. I do have a clam though.

On my Biocube I had a modified open top with Kessil 350w pendant.

Has anyone removed the hood from their Red Sea 130c and used a Kessil instead?

I'm debating just selling the Kessil and using stock lighting but it's kind of hard to imagine going from Kessil to power compacts again.

I lost a 7 year old clownfish when I went open top so I'm leery to do that again without some sort of lid. I modified my Biocube top by ripping out the lights and sawing a giant hole for the light. That's fine on a used bio. I can't quite see myself doing that on a brand new tank.

Any input?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

I recently added Stevesleds to my RSM 250 & love it, they make them for the RSM C130 too

Might check them out...
http://shop.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-130D-C130-LED-retrofit-kit-8794102442.htm?categoryId=-1

On your new RSM C130, I have seen clams kept successfully stock, sps corals seem to struggle but I would suggest giving the new tank a go stock - you will be pretty amazed at what all corals you can keep stock ! Then if you decide you want to keep the clean look of stock with a closed hood, check out leds.

Sericinda

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

I recently added Stevesleds to my RSM 250 & love it, they make them for the RSM C130 too

Might check them out...
http://shop.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-130D-C130-LED-retrofit-kit-8794102442.htm?categoryId=-1

On your new RSM C130, I have seen clams kept successfully stock, sps corals seem to struggle but I would suggest giving the new tank a go stock - you will be pretty amazed at what all corals you can keep stock ! Then if you decide you want to keep the clean look of stock with a closed hood, check out leds.

Thank you! I might just sell the Kessil (one is only a few months old) and buy that. Would be way easier than trying to mod for Kessil as I really do like the hood.

dgilbert2

Welcome but really sorry to read what has happened :(

Good luck with your C130, welcome to the club ;)

:rbwwelc: