Question for you Durso standpipe users

carmexx

I am having issues with the durso "surging" or making that flushing noise. For the last year never had an issue.
I did recently clean my return Pump (951 gph) and replaced some of the hard return schedule 40 with all vinyl tubing instead of some vinyl/pipe. I can't keep a consistant water level in the tank. I checked the standpipe for a clog...nothing. I even removed the filter sock and got the same thing. It almost seems that the standpipe can't keep up with the return pump (which I never had a problem with). I have adjusted the tubing in the cap all the way down and even pulled it out. At this point I don't care about the air (sucking noise) from the tube. I just don't want an overflow. Any suggestions would help.
I am going out to buy a few caps and drill variuos size holes to see if that remedies it.

DaveK

It is possible that when you replaced the PVC pipe with vinyl tubing that you reduced the output from the pump quite a bit. Those hose barbs are very restrictive.

A durso standpipe needs exactly the right mix of water and air running through it to work reasonably quiet. Make sure nothing is clogging the durso. Snails, algae, and so on can get stuck up in there.

StirCrayzy

My guess is the opposite Dave, switch to smooth curves and cleaning the pump increased output, which was then overpowering the drain. The surge from switching in and out of siphon seems logical, lower flow would not likely cause surging and backups. A video would've helped.