question about my blood parrots

bm86

i had my blood parrots mate awhile back the female had layed eggs and she protected them very well as the male defended off other fish very well to keep them away even nipped at me a couple times. only problem im having i cant get them to lay again they are still paired together and they are always to gether. the last batch never made it the female started to eat the bad eggs when they went bad. i did make a tank divider so that only their eggs and them 2 were together witch i read they are very good parents also read that the male are infertile witch i dont beleave even though being a man made fish they have to make babies some how and i heard some males being able to fertilize them so anyway how do i get them to do this again is only a once a year thing i know when they started they lip locked together and danced together for about 3 days and then poof there were eggs haha any ides also have some other chiclids and would like to start them out with breeding to where do i start and what do i do to help this process thanks Brandon

Rhodes19

bm86,

We have blood parrots and they lay eggs on occasion. Check your water parameters and make sure they are close to what Cichlids like. Also, I've read a lot about these fish and supposedly they are both sterile even though the female can still lay eggs. They are not viable. They are like mules, they can't reproduce. As for your other Cichlids, make sure the water parameters match what Cichlids like (some what different than the other tropical fish), give them some rock to hide in and lay eggs on. If you have a breading pair in their own tank, you wont have t worry about other fish eating the eggs. HTH

QuentinB

Yeah, the females can be infertile too, but the males definitely are. in some instances, I guess, females can breed with convicts(that's the only one I know). The point of them being a hybrid fish is that their parents aren't blood parrot cichlids(I forget the combination, but I do think there is a wiki page explaining all this). My female lays eggs about every two weeks, and besides being hostile towards everyone, no big deal.