Quarantine tank and set up

RyanC

hello everyone. It has now been 7 weeks since I started. I have added 2 occerlarious clown fish and a CUC consisting of 6 red legged hermits, 9 snails, 4 of those nassarius and the rest all different species, a brittle starfish, cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab. I am hoping to add another fish in about a month which leads me to my question. I am purchasing a fluval 10 gal all in one tank to use as a quarantine tank. It comes with light, cover and a carbon filter plus a return pump. Pretty similar to my Aquatop 40 minus the protein skimmer. My question is what else do I need to add to the qt other than the carbon sponge. I know I need a sponge that I leave in my tank for 30 days to gather the neccassary good bacteria for when I put water in the qt. I also know no sand or live rock, just bare bottom with some pvc pipe. The tank I am getting has room for 2 more media sponges or pellets after the carbon sponge is in place. Any and all help is appreciated. Pic is the tank but just a google pic not the one I found. If u zoom in on this pic it looks like it just has a huge sponge but the tank I am getting has 3 shelves in it too add different media.

Attachments

• 87CCEF28-B55F-4831-B5B9-8EC9575418F0.jpeg
    87CCEF28-B55F-4831-B5B9-8EC9575418F0.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 4

RyanC

Thanks for the info. Couple questions. Should I just get the sponge filter and not worry about the all in one section of the aquarium? Do I put the sponge filter in the display part of the tank or can that go into the back part where the media goes? Lastly, my DT tank is also an all in one with the sponge, protein skimmer, media cartridges and return pump all on the back of the aquarium. With no sump, where can I place the sponge filter to seed it for a month? I got room under the sponge, protein skimmer and return pump to place it or do I need to place it inside the display tank itself. Thanks for the read and info

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hopefully someone can advise...

I have never had a QT tank... but I would never discourage one from having one... in 9 years my tank has always been diseases free... many would say I have been lucky...

RyanC

Went and picked up the fluval 5 gallon all in one. 5 gal is a bit small but all the fish I have on my wish list are rather small as well and I’m only doing 1 fish at a time so I went ahead with it. Got a sponge as well, which I can cut atleast 3-4 times for other quarantines. Still need to pick up a heater for it, but I won’t be getting a fish till the end of October so I’m in no rush. This was only $50 and I had bought the eheim quick vac last week to see if I could vacuum the top of the sand bed and it wasn’t strong enough so I took that back and ended up zeroing out, which made the wife extremely happy. my display tank is an Aquatop 40 gal all in one so I put the piece of sponge in the back under my return pump. Is that a good place for it? I have room under my big sponge in the display tank as well for it but I figured putting in the return side lets it seed with water that’s ran through the sponge, skimmer and media trays already. Now to wait a month before getting my firefish. Don’t know if I want the purple one or the red one yet.

Attachments

• 33FA2033-A978-437D-9FAA-D972B40B3C96.jpeg
    33FA2033-A978-437D-9FAA-D972B40B3C96.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 816E5FC4-850C-43D5-A900-9A6705502C9C.jpeg
    816E5FC4-850C-43D5-A900-9A6705502C9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • EA810A28-54EA-4DEA-B355-772589A9B0C2.jpeg
    EA810A28-54EA-4DEA-B355-772589A9B0C2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1