Saltylady

Success with paraguard? I have a blue tang in a 30 gal QT. I have been using paraguard for 3 days. I am thinking of switching to a 20 gal QT so that I can use cupramine instead because I want to use the 30 gal as a DT in my bedroom. Will I do more damage to her by switching over? I am also dropping salinity, and slowly raising temp. She didnt eat today, ate yesterday (mysis), but is swimming around. Also am using garlic xtreme on seaweed, and letting the mysis soak for a minute but dosent seem to want it.

DaveK

Perhaps the first question should be, what does the fish have that you are trying to treat with ParaGuard? Also, how long have you had the fish. Posting a clear picture of it can help us a lot.

Also it's almost always a bad idea to lower salinity and also treat with Cupramine.

You could do more harm than good by moving a sick fish during treatment. It's a question of balancing risks verses benefits. Also tangs are fish that need a lot of room. That's an additional factor.

If the fish isn't eating, don't mess around with trying to use garlic with it's food. First get it to just eat.

Uncle99

Cupramine is a copper treatment used mainly for Ick. Blue Tangs are boss type fish which do require large tanks for long term success.

Notwithstanding, treatment using both meds is not a good idea as DaveK suggests. You can only treat a sick fish when you can identify the cause. There are a number of ways to treat different ailments.

If you diagnose Ick for example, Tangs respond better to TTM and Hypo, cupramine is a bit harsh, But has been done.

If you can not, you can QT in lower salinity like 1.019 or so, and over the QT period, slowly increase to DT required levels. Watch carefully its behavior, swimming, eating and make sure it has some hiding places. When changing salinities, OK to go faster down, but real slow like .002 per day going up. The more the salt, the more difficult it is for them to respirate, as there is less oxygen in the water.

Uncle99

To clarify, the above is NOT "hypo" (that would be 1.009, used to "explode” ick cysts)

The lower salinity of 1.019 helps from diease setting in and allows for a higher concentration of oxygen. This merely a watch and wait type of QT.

If subsequently meds are required, make sure salinity is up to DT par before adding any meds.