QT ammonia is high

reefguy

My qt tanks ammonia is high at the moment .5ppm should I do consistent water changes till I can get it down or do I use like prime to bring it down? The qt has copper in it and is treating my tang. Any suggestions would be helpful.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Water changes and redose copper to maintain proper levels. Adding any other chemicals could result in a reaction from the medications.

You do have a copper test kit, right?

....Moving On, Moving On....

reefguy

Just did it. I am using my DT tank water do he is used to that water. Or is better to use freshest mixed. I don't have any bad stuff in my tank and lvls read 0 a cross the board.

sk8rdn

Use fresh mixed to prevent any re-contamination.

Seems like using DT water would be fine. The way I read the original post, the fish aren't in the QT because they were infected in the DT. They're new fish being monitored before entering the DT. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sk8rdn

I thought this tang came out of the DT with signs of ich or velvet?

:dunno:

sk8rdn

Whether the fish did cone from the DT or the pet store, this is the proper procedure:

TylerHaworth said:
Prepare your new water with the proper levels of copper prior to the water change.

Doogle

This thread just reminded me I need to syphon poo and change half he water in my qt, my beat up African cichlid thanks you!

sk8rdn

reefguy said:
Fresh mix it is thank you guys. When I intro him back to the DT do I need to acclimate him again?

Short style... Probably.

Just remember, ALL of the copper HAS to have been completely removed from the water before he can be moved. This should be easily done over the 2 week post treatment observation period. You DON'T want to introduce copper into your DT.

Short style... Probably.

Just remember, ALL of the copper HAS to have been completely removed from the water before he can be moved. This should be easily done over the 2 week post treatment observation period. You DON'T want to introduce copper into your DT.

Very good advice thanks as I am setting up my first qt tank and didnt know that!!!