Q: RODI Setup, Waste

Polly

Okay so I see I need to make my own clean water. I'm going to set up my tank far from indoor plumbing, but very near an outdoor garden hose (inside the front door). Can I hook the RODI system up to the garden hose? Is it correct that I should then run the filtered water into some other heated container to reach the tank temp (my top-off container, or sump...?), before it goes in the tank? Can someone give me a specific example of how they do theirs? Thanks!!

Uncle99

I use 2 big Rubbermaid garbage cans, One for pre- mixed salt the other for fresh. I don't heat because I only change 20% per week and that only drops the DT by a degree so fish and stuff don't care. Fresh is to top off DT evaporation so Salt SG always stays same, I keep mine at 1.025
Garden hose source OK. In the salt can I have a small powerhead to keep the solution mixed and airated...

Uncle99

So, the process is daily, use fresh to top off what has evaporated. If you make a mental note of where the water was at the SG you chose, then fill back to this line and presto, same SG.

Weekly, I take out 20% of the saltwater and replace with saltwater to keep my water "fresh" and ensure the components like Alk, Cal, Mag, and trace elements are sufficient. This also helps export waste.

So I use a plain bucket to put it in and what is called a Python to take it out.

Oxylebius

My RODI is hooked up to a guest bathroom faucet. Using a faucet adapter. I collect rodi water in 5g water jugs that perfectly fit under my tank.
water-container-stackable_1_4.jpg
and a couple of these as well
wa0011-5-gallon-collapsible-water-container-base_3_1.jpg

And my ATO pump fits into it. I don't warm the ATO water, there is such a small amount added to the tank that there isn't a need to keep this water heated.

I mix my salt water right before using it. I don't store already made salt water. I only store rodi water just in case I need to mix up some salt water fast.

Squatch XXL

Evaporation varies from tank to tank and environment. It is 100% legit to hook a RO/DI to a hose bib, and if I was above freezing, I probably would. Easy waste water disposal, and easy, out of the way hookup. Waste water is great for plant watering.

I would highly advise against hooking your Ro/DI source directly to your tank. Mistakes, and equipment failures can be catastrophic. I flooded one of mine recently a few times this way. floors wet etc. I have a floor drain and tile floor, so no sweat, but if you had hardwood or carpet....this would be a disaster. Always try to keep the supply out of the tank.

I think my 40 used 5-7 gallon/week, and I kept 5 gallons of fresh water ready for the week. I got lazy at the end and flooded the darn thing a few times. Room temp water should be good for top off.

Oxylebius

Evaporation varies from tank to tank and environment. It is 100% legit to hook a RO/DI to a hose bib, and if I was above freezing, I probably would. Easy waste water disposal, and easy, out of the way hookup. Waste water is great for plant watering.

Agree it is too cold in winter to chance hooking the rodi to a hose bib. Freeze is an issue around here as well. I have played with the idea of hooking the rodi up to the lines that hook to the water heater, as there are adapters you can get for that. But, I feel like I don't fully understand the pros and cons of doing this, so I've never attempted it.

Squatch XXL

hooking the rodi up to the lines that hook to the water heater
I was confused/perplexed by this..... I looked it up, and found a whole new world of studies I Have missed out on....and apparently I have been using my RO/DI unit incorrect by blasting ice cold water through it. Apparently these units are designed, and have a target temp. I get less than 1 ppm tds, so I am happy.

But here is what I am reading. The units have a target temp. Lower reduces the efficiency, and it varies by unit Id wager. This means more waste water the colder it is. Warmer water will degrade membranes quicker. If you could temper your water to your target temp, that would be optimal. If you don't mind 10-15% extra waste....Another solution would be to get a waste recycler and push it through a second time. Its all overpriced when you plan to use it to water veggies or even just mop a floor.

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I was confused/perplexed by this..... I looked it up, and found a whole new world of studies I Have missed out on....and apparently I have been using my RO/DI unit incorrect by blasting ice cold water through it. Apparently these units are designed, and have a target temp. I get less than 1 ppm tds, so I am happy.

But here is what I am reading. The units have a target temp. Lower reduces the efficiency, and it varies by unit Id wager. This means more waste water the colder it is. Warmer water will degrade membranes quicker. If you could temper your water to your target temp, that would be optimal. If you don't mind 10-15% extra waste....Another solution would be to get a waste recycler and push it through a second time. Its all overpriced when you plan to use it to water veggies or even just mop a floor.

Oh yeah, they absolutely have a target temp to use them with.I'm glad you were able to look it up for more info. My rodi came with lots of info and support, but I just kinda guess at the optimum temp with the faucet. I was able to use my membrane for a little over 4 years w/o replacing it :celebrate:

I'm still apprehensive about the whole water heater hookup even though I am interested in going this route

SPR

The water temperature affects the performance and is a critical factor when judging what a unit actually produces compared with what it’s supposed to produce as is the water pressure against the membrane.

I have my RODI production outside connected to a hose and in summer it produces RO far faster at 18-22c rather than currently in winter we’re its around freezing. It slows the production right down.

Mine is rated at 100gpd, but produces no were near that due to a combination of temperature and water pressure.

To answer the original question (I think!), I use water from an outside tap, through a garden hose and then through the RODI system and into 30 litre water containers. These are then just stored until I empty the RODI water into the reservoir next to my tank. I don’t heat it because it will attain room temperature over a short period in any case. Unless your going to be dumping a large amount of top off into the tank water compared with the volume of tank water (ie it may have a significant effect on overall temperature) I wouldn’t worry about temperature equalisation to much.

Squatch XXL

The water temperature affects the performance and is a critical factor when judging what a unit actually produces compared with what it’s supposed to produce as is the water pressure against the membrane.
It would make sense based on the actual space in the membrane....Thermal expansion/contraction could certainly affect flow rate and filtering.