Putting Hands In A Tank

tystank

Hi Everyone,

I have recently set up an RSM 130, all is going well and have started to add a few things.When I got the tank it came with established live rock that I decided to keep but it had some xenia attached.I have read numerous threads about keeping it in check which range from adding rock for them to bond to then taking it out and cutting it off with a razor blade,both of which I am inclined to try.

My question is.Is it OK to put my hands in the tank and how often? I know this sounds silly but I would like to stress my inhabitants as little as possible and although it is acceptable to put your hands in occasionally surely trimming the equivalent of a marine weed will take some time.

So how much is too much and if you have any suggestions to keep it to a minimum I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Oxylebius

Washing your hands (and arms) before they go into the tank is a good habit to get into. This way you aren't adding to your tank any lotions, oils, or other items that may be on your hands or arms. I always do this.

Feeding fish by hand is common and usually doesn't need gloves. But, anytime I have to work w/rocks or have my arms in the tank, I use gloves. I have the gloves that Glenn linked to above, these are really heavy duty gloves. But I also have another pair, a little thinner that I prefer when vacuuming the sand or gluing corals: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004US9VKS/?tag=reefsanc-20

tystank

It was more about stressing the fish out while trimming back the xenia
Washing your hands (and arms) before they go into the tank is a good habit to get into. This way you aren't adding to your tank any lotions, oils, or other items that may be on your hands or arms. I always do this.

Feeding fish by hand is common and usually doesn't need gloves. But, anytime I have to work w/rocks or have my arms in the tank, I use gloves. I have the gloves that Glenn linked to above, these are really heavy duty gloves. But I also have another pair, a little thinner that I prefer when vacuuming the sand or gluing corals: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004US9VKS/?tag=reefsanc-20

Thanks Oxy I was just a little concerned about it as I didn't want to sress them while trimming the Xenia and moving the rock.I'll order them today.

Oxylebius

The more you put your hands in the tank the more the fish will get used to it.

As long as you aren't chasing and purposely scaring the fish, the fish will learn that your hands/gloves in the tank won't be harmful to them. In time they will learn to trust that you won't harm them. That said, I wouldn't purposely chase the fish with hands or gloves, that would certainly stress them out :)

NickF

I use disposable gloves if I'm going to have my hand in the tank for any length of time, £5 for a box of 50. Also, my psycho male clown seems to think my hand is a meal and I don't jump as much if I'm wearing cloves when he tries to bite me.

tystank

I use disposable gloves if I'm going to have my hand in the tank for any length of time, £5 for a box of 50. Also, my psycho male clown seems to think my hand is a meal and I don't jump as much if I'm wearing cloves when he tries to bite me.
My clowns are small less than an inch so I'm OK there...Ha! Ha!