Putting glass top on?

HUNTER1

My tank is always dirty because It doesn't have overflow. If I put the glass top on, will my light ( kessil led ) still penetrate the glass ok? and still ok with oxygen exchange? thanks

jerry26

There will be a reduction yes but i cant really say how much. Keep them real clean itll probably be minimal. But im curious how tops will help?

To clarify.. itll probably look lit just the same but im guessing there will be a reduction in par

Tigersref

I had a glass top and after a while, I got tired of cleaning it every day of salt creep and condensation. Now I don't use it anymore and just have an open tank. I would go with using the BRS mesh top but I have a bowfront tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Why are you wanting to add the glass tops? They will cut into your par readings (progressively over time) and will also raise the temp of your tank

HUNTER1

I hate the idea of glass top as well. I think it's just the dust accumulates on the surface. I don't have sump nor skimmer but I do water change every 5 days. It's surface scum.

DaveK

I use a glass cover on my tanks. I feel it keeps fish and other livestock in, and keeps dust and dirt out. It also cuts down on the evaporation rate.

That being said, you use what works best for you. As you can see some love a cover, others would never use one. This is one of the areas of the hobby where there is no right or wrong answer. It's what works for you.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
+1 to what DaveK said. I too use glass covers. It's really a matter of preference.

HUNTER1

I ordered a cheap surface skimmer and hopefully works. It's just not the dust, it's also cleaning chemicals my wife uses around the house.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
A top on the tank can serve multiple purposes
7F6CBDEE-FEC2-4245-9AB1-F28AD8203943-10746-00000FDC97B5D8A3.jpg
[/IMG]
DA0F82D9-67F6-4981-8DDE-9EA7797D68FD-50664-00002B8DC6FBEEDF.jpg
[/IMG]
I L:heart:VE MY CAT and he loves our fish tank. I don't like the idea of him swimming in it :laughroll

theplantman

I ordered a cheap surface skimmer and hopefully works. It's just not the dust, it's also cleaning chemicals my wife uses around the house.

Yikes - I have one major rule when it comes to the tank and everyone in the house is aware of it. No aerosol or spray on cleaners within ten feet of the tank and I am the only one allowed to use cleaners on the glass. (I spray it on a paper towel in another room and then clean the glass, or just use a wet paper towel followed by dry and no cleaner). It depends if any greasy fingers have been on the glass or not. I do not have a glass cover, removed it due to heat build up and constant cleaning, however I built an open top canopy that is 9" tall to keep the fishes in and reduce heat from my mh fixture.

I do think Dave is correct though, it is a decision based on need and personal preference.

HUNTER1

I love the cat, my cat stalks the fish.
It's just me and my wife in the house, she ok with the tank but not really interested. When she's cleaning I pay attention whats she doing especially when she gets close to the tank. I keep on telling her that even slight trace of any cleaning chemicals will kill the whole tank.

theplantman

Funny, our cats are not the least bit interested, of course they have plenty of other critters around the house to keep them entertained. Frogs and fish in the small pond we built, chickens, rabbits, the dogs they follow everywhere and of course the kids. Strange cats, they won't even eat fresh seafood, I have tried giving them fish and crab and they snub it. Silly barn cats don't know what they are missing.:smack:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I have a kitten about to turn 1 years old. I came home one day to find her sitting on the glass top looking down with great fascination. I wish I had my camera but she dove off the top the second she saw me coming towards her. If I ever removed the glass, I'd need the screen top for sure, but I just don't think a screen will hold the weight of my obnoxious cat. :D

Last edited:

jerry26

I have a kitten about to turn 1 years old. I came home one day to find her sitting on the glass top looking down with great fascination. I wish I had my camera but she dove off the top the second she saw me coming towards her. If I ever removed the glass, I'll need the screen top for sure, but I just don't think a screen will hold the weight of my obnoxious cat. :D

Lol. I have mine in wall so all mine can do is sit on the back of the loveseat and stare into the front of it. Ive had to chase him off a few times for attacking the glass though.

Ceradee

I'm still wondering about oxygen levels. I have a glass top on my new tank right now while the bacteria is starting up, but I am worried that not enough airflow is getting through. Should I take the top off and just block that room off from my cat (who has shown great interest) until the tank is done cycling, or is it okay to keep it on?

DaveK

Just leave the top on. You'll still get plenty of airflow, even with a tight fitting cover. There is usually so much circulation in a reed system that you'll seldom have an issue with gas exchange. If your using a sump on the system, you'll get plenty of gas exchange there also.

AC273

I run a glass top to keep the evaporation down. Really comes down to if you are willing to clean it to keep the light levels up.

Doogle

Aww that's a cool cat! I miss mine terribly, it died 2 days ago, car hit him. sucks.
EAE56187_zpsd64ddd96.jpg

22A10330_zps894a0a31.jpg

Back to topic!

Figure about 10-15% loss in light penetration depending if its clean, more if its not.
As long as your fish aren't gasping at the surface, day or night, you should be fine.

HUNTER1

Aww that's a cool cat! I miss mine terribly, it died 2 days ago, car hit him. sucks.
EAE56187_zpsd64ddd96.jpg

22A10330_zps894a0a31.jpg

Back to topic!

Figure about 10-15% loss in light penetration depending if its clean, more if its not.
As long as your fish aren't gasping at the surface, day or night, you should be fine.
Sorry about yur cat, I'm overly protective with my cat. Well, I decided to leave the top open except when the wife is cleaning and doing heavy cooking. Tank is by the dining room.

Doogle

Wish I kept him as an indoor cat but he had so much fun outdoors he had a great life even though it was short.